What are some creative ways to harness wind power for a project?

In summary, the project involves pulling a wooden block 4 meters towards a large industrial fan using only wind power. The machine must not use any stored or potential energy, and no combustibles or dangerous materials are allowed. To receive an A grade, the task must be completed in 2 seconds or less. Ideas discussed include using a sail, a thin strong thread, and harnessing fluid dynamics, but they are not feasible due to the rules. A potential solution involves using a pulley system with parachutes attached to the rope, but the effectiveness of this method depends on the strength of the fan and the weight of the parachutes.
Phox
Ok so here's the deal. Wind powered machine project..

-Large Industrial Fan blowing
-4 meters away from the fan is a wooden block on the ground with a hook in it (to attach rope, etc)
-must pull the wooden block 4 meters TOWARDS the fan in the fastest amount of time possible
-machine must only be powered by wind. no stored energy, potential energy, etc.
-cannot lubricate the floor or put anything under the block
-no combustibles/other dangerous thingies :)
-to get an A, time must be 2 second or faster

So basically need to pull the block 4 meters TOWARDS the fan in the fastest amount of time possible using only the wind power of the fan.

I'm thinking I could always use the ol' windmill technique but I'd rather do something different. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to do is find a way to harness the wind energy as most efficiently as possible.

How heavy is the block, and how large is the fan? Could you simply put a sail on the block?

Phox said:
...need to pull the rope 4 meters towards the fan...

minger said:
Could you simply put a sail on the block?

minger - are you trying to restart that 'sailing upwind' thread :wink:

The fan is probably 5 feet in diameter. It's a big fan however the wind coming from it is not as powerful as you might think. The wind is more... broad if that makes sense.. The block I'd say is .5-.75 lbs

And I don't really see the point of putting a sail on the block because yes, it'd be sailing upwind.

that shoots all my ideas to heck

how about a thin strong thread that gets caught in the fan blade and yanks the block into the fan
that always happens when its NOT supposed to...

dr

dr dodge said:

that shoots all my ideas to heck

how about a thin strong thread that gets caught in the fan blade and yanks the block into the fan
that always happens when its NOT supposed to...

dr

Haha, unfortunately against the rules. That was my first idea ;)

I can't understand how something could move up the stream of wind. To me the challenge is how to increase the momentum of the air particles so by conservation the block will have to move in the other direction. but the real life effect of drag would always push it back.

Perhaps you could somehow take advantage of fluid dynamics to speed up the air. I am thinking a tube with a large end toward the fan and a small end at the back. This way the air would be moving faster out of the small end. But the drag would definitely push it back even if any force was gained. Maybe a lot of lubrication in the tube?

Hellabyte said:
I can't understand how something could move up the stream of wind. To me the challenge is how to increase the momentum of the air particles so by conservation the block will have to move in the other direction. but the real life effect of drag would always push it back.

Perhaps you could somehow take advantage of fluid dynamics to speed up the air. I am thinking a tube with a large end toward the fan and a small end at the back. This way the air would be moving faster out of the small end. But the drag would definitely push it back even if any force was gained. Maybe a lot of lubrication in the tube?

Hmm. Perhaps I didn't explain this well enough. I can make some kind of machine directly in front of the fan to harness the wind and to pull the rope + block towards the machine and fan.

Phox said:
Hmm. Perhaps I didn't explain this well enough. I can make some kind of machine directly in front of the fan to harness the wind and to pull the rope + block towards the machine and fan.

Oh yeah, I had the wrong idea. Well you could put some sort of pulley supported by two stabilized legs in front of the fan. the rope would have a parachute on one end and the block on the other. the fan will start and the parachute will be blown back. to increase time you could attach other parachutes at periodic lengths along the rope, so when they go across the pulley they deploy, so the force doesn't die out.

This might be a good idea. How would I make the parachutes?

Phox said:
This might be a good idea. How would I make the parachutes?

Hmm. I think they would have to be very light so they deployed easily. Possibly you could make them out of grocery bags. It really depends on how powerful the fan is, i could just see some of the parachutes sitting there and not opening up at all.

1. What are some tips for coming up with project ideas?

One tip is to think about your interests and passion areas. What topics or subjects do you enjoy learning about? Another tip is to look for problems or gaps in existing research or technology and try to come up with a solution. You can also brainstorm with others and collaborate on project ideas.

2. How can I find inspiration for project ideas?

Inspiration can come from many sources such as current events, personal experiences, or even nature. Keep an open mind and actively seek out new information and experiences. You can also explore different fields and see if any concepts or ideas spark your interest.

3. What are some resources for finding project ideas?

There are many resources available for finding project ideas such as scientific journals, conferences, and online communities. You can also consult with your peers, mentors, and professors for suggestions and guidance.

4. How can I make sure my project idea is original?

To ensure your project idea is original, you can conduct a literature review to see if similar studies have been done before. You can also consult with your advisor or a subject matter expert to get their input and make sure your idea is unique.

5. How do I know if my project idea is feasible?

It is important to consider the resources, time, and skills needed to complete your project. You can discuss your idea with your advisor or a mentor to get their perspective on its feasibility. It may also be helpful to break down your project into smaller, manageable tasks to determine its feasibility.