Math and physics teacher at the high school level

In summary: He is a shy person, but he has been told that teachers have to be outgoing. Joe is wondering if there is any truth to this "outgoing" thing. He thinks that at the K-12 level, where you need to be more concerned about a students' mental well-being, being outgoing is important. Joe also thinks that communication with parents, both about academics and behavior, is critical. He thinks that being "shy" doesn't preclude you from doing your job well, but it might make it less easy. However, being passionate about a subject can help overcome any shyness.
jumbogala
I want to be a math and physics teacher at the high school level, or possibly teaching adult continuing education courses.

The thing is, I'm a quiet person, maybe a little bit shy. A few people have told me that teachers need to be outgoing. The thing is, I can talk loudly and be firm when I need to, haha.

So, I'm just wondering, is there any truth to this "outgoing" thing?

Physics news on Phys.org

As a former high school chem and physics instructor (and now college lecturer), I'd say there is some truth in the matter... especially at the K-12 levels, where you need to be more concerned about a students' mental heath and safety than perhaps at the college level. Communication with parents, both about students' academics, behavior and mental well-being is also critical.

Being "shy" doesn't, in other words, preclude you from doing your job well, but it might make it less easy.

On the plus side, sometimes doing a job that requires some skill, such as a bit of "outgoing-ness" makes you develop that skill. I started out as a shy, quiet teacher... and now I'm so able to project that you can hear me across a filled lecture hall... and I can joke and laugh both with the students at the front of the room (those geeky kids like I was) and the students at the back of the room (the joking slackers like I've perhaps become!). My own family (parents and siblings) could notice the change even after my first year teaching.

I think as long as you love the subject your teaching, shyness shouldn't interfere. I too am a shy person, but when I discuss physics or astrophysics, even the simplest concepts, I feel a small rush of adrenaline and the information just flows like a perfect fluid. I have the hardest time approaching people, but when it comes to edjucating someone about a subject I love, it's like second nature. This holds for me, but I feel as if this is the case when anyone is passionate. Try it out on someone, even if it is a concept they might not be able to understand. Good luck!

Joe

What are the qualifications to become a math and physics teacher at the high school level?

To become a math and physics teacher at the high school level, most states require a bachelor's degree in education with a concentration in math and physics. In addition, teachers must also pass state-specific exams and undergo teacher training programs.

What subjects do math and physics teachers at the high school level typically teach?

Math and physics teachers at the high school level typically teach a variety of subjects such as algebra, geometry, calculus, trigonometry, and physics. They may also teach specialized courses such as statistics, advanced placement (AP) courses, and robotics.

What teaching methods do math and physics teachers at the high school level use?

Math and physics teachers at the high school level use a variety of teaching methods, such as lectures, hands-on activities, group work, and technology-based lessons. They may also incorporate real-world applications and problem-solving activities to engage students.

How do math and physics teachers at the high school level assess students' understanding?

Math and physics teachers at the high school level use a variety of assessment methods, including quizzes, tests, projects, and presentations. They may also use technology-based tools to assess students' understanding, such as online quizzes and simulations.

What are some career opportunities for students who excel in math and physics at the high school level?

Students who excel in math and physics at the high school level have a wide range of career opportunities, such as becoming engineers, scientists, researchers, or educators. They may also pursue careers in finance, computer science, and other fields that require strong math and problem-solving skills.