I in partioning bits of random number in matlab

In summary, the user is trying to partition a set of 40 bits into 5 sections, with each section containing 8 randomly chosen bits, using the output generated by the code provided. They are seeking assistance with the coding process.
absolute76
I need help in partioning bits of random number in matlab!

Hey guys,

I really need your help here...What i wanted to do actually is to partition the bits into 4 smaller group..

If anyone of you can give me a basic coding of it or maybe u can check if there anything wrong wit my coding..

Ex: x=80
rand('state',100)
randn('state',200)
a=rand(1,x)>0.5

should i do for loop? should i add this function

Ex: for x=(4:1:4)

a=rand(1,x)>0.5

end

but it will not give me a random number 0f 4 bits..how? anyone can helpp please??

Physics news on Phys.org

absolute76 said:
Hey guys,

I really need your help here...What i wanted to do actually is to partition the bits into 4 smaller group..
I don't understand what you're saying.
absolute76 said:
If anyone of you can give me a basic coding of it or maybe u can check if there anything wrong wit my coding..

Ex: x=80
rand('state',100)
randn('state',200)
a=rand(1,x)>0.5

should i do for loop? should i add this function

Ex: for x=(4:1:4)

a=rand(1,x)>0.5

end

but it will not give me a random number 0f 4 bits..how? anyone can helpp please??
Can you tell me in words what you're trying to do? Here is some documentation for the randn function - http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/randn.html

and for the rand function - http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/rand.html

If you need a loop it should look something like this.
Code:
do i=1:2:9
% some calculation
end
This loop runs 5 times, for i = 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.

Ok, let say i have 40 bits..

My question now is..how do i do 5 partition for the 40 bits (each partition consists of 8 bits)so that everytime i simulate it,it will randomly pick 8 bits from the 40 bits??

but i have to use this code in it:

x=40
rand('state',100);
randn('state',200);

input=rand(1,x)>0.5

do you have any idea??

Last edited:

I don't think partitioning the set of bits enters into it. And your explanation is still not very clear. My best guess is that you have 40 bits to choose from, with indexes in the set {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 38, 39} and you want to pick 8 bits at random.

The following statement will store an integer from 0 through 39 in x. If you do that 8 times, you'll get 8 different values.

x = fix(40 * rand)

This code will put 8 values in an array.
Code:
do i = 1:8
  x(i) = fix(40 * rand)
end

Mark44 said:
I don't think partitioning the set of bits enters into it. And your explanation is still not very clear. My best guess is that you have 40 bits to choose from, with indexes in the set {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 38, 39} and you want to pick 8 bits at random.

The following statement will store an integer from 0 through 39 in x. If you do that 8 times, you'll get 8 different values.

x = fix(40 * rand)

This code will put 8 values in an array.
Code:
do i = 1:8
  x(i) = fix(40 * rand)
end

Ok that's true i have 40 bits now.

and because of :

rand('state',100);
randn('state',200);
a=rand(1,x)>0.5 ...this line will generate 0,1 with equal probility

so my 40 bits just now are being generated as 0 and 1

and through that i want to partition it into 5 section( each of it will consist of 8 bits). The 8 bits will be choose randomly from the output I've given.

Example of evaluate of that selection i have this output:

x =

a =

Columns 1 through 14

0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0

Columns 15 through 28

1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1

Columns 29 through 40

1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1

1. How do I generate a random number in Matlab?

To generate a random number in Matlab, you can use the rand function. This function returns a single random number between 0 and 1.

2. How can I partition a random number in Matlab?

To partition a random number in Matlab, you can use the bits function. This function returns the binary representation of a number as a vector of 0s and 1s.

3. How can I specify the number of bits in the partition of a random number in Matlab?

To specify the number of bits in the partition of a random number in Matlab, you can use the bits function with a second argument that specifies the number of bits you want in the partition. For example, bits(rand, 8) will return the binary representation of a random number with 8 bits.

4. How can I convert the partition of a random number in Matlab back to decimal form?

To convert the partition of a random number in Matlab back to decimal form, you can use the bin2dec function. This function takes a binary vector as input and returns its decimal equivalent.

5. Can I use the partitioned bits of a random number in Matlab for cryptography?

While you can use the partitioned bits of a random number in Matlab for basic cryptography, it is not recommended for more secure applications. Matlab's rand function is not truly random and may not provide enough entropy for secure encryption. It is best to use a dedicated cryptographic library for such purposes.