Some questions for entire function

• Thread starter emptyboat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, an entire function in complex analysis is a complex function that is analytic at all finite points of the complex plane. The term 'finite points' is used to exclude the point at infinity, which is often added to the complex numbers. If this term is omitted, the function may have a pole or essential singularity at infinity, limiting the set of functions that can be called analytic.
emptyboat
The definition of entire function in complex analysis is
'If a complex function is analytic at all finite points of the complex plane , then it is said to be entire, sometimes also called "integral" (Knopp 1996, p. 112).'

I have questions about the terms 'finite points'.
Why are this terms here?
And If the terms are omitted, the function has another name or meaning?

Physics news on Phys.org
emptyboat said:
The definition of entire function in complex analysis is
'If a complex function is analytic at all finite points of the complex plane , then it is said to be entire, sometimes also called "integral" (Knopp 1996, p. 112).'

I have questions about the terms 'finite points'.
Why are this terms here?
And If the terms are omitted, the function has another name or meaning?

Sometimes, in addition to the complex numbers, we add an extra point called infinity. The definition here is just emphasizing that the function is NOT required to be analytic at infinity. So, for example, the function [itex]e^z[/itex] is entire, even though it has an essential singularity at infinity.

New Edit: I see that Edgar was a bit quicker than me. :smile:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that is to exclude the point at infinity that is often added to the complex numbers. Any entire function will have a pole or essential singularity at infinity unless it is a constant. If it has a pole, then it is a polynomial. A function that is meromorphic including at infinity has to be a rational function.

So, unless you exclude the point at infinity, you are severely limiting the set of functions you can call analytic.

Thanks for both answers! I am more cleared about the definition.

1. What is an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and holomorphic on the entire complex plane.

2. How do you determine if a function is entire?

A function is entire if it is defined and analytic on the entire complex plane. This means that it must be differentiable at every point in the complex plane.

3. Can an entire function have a pole or essential singularity?

No, an entire function cannot have a pole or essential singularity. This is because these types of singularities require the function to be undefined at certain points, which goes against the definition of an entire function being defined on the entire complex plane.

4. What is the relationship between an entire function and a polynomial?

Every polynomial is an entire function, but not every entire function is a polynomial. This is because a polynomial is a function of the form f(z) = anzn + an-1zn-1 + ... + a1z + a0, while an entire function can have an infinite number of terms in its power series representation.

5. How are entire functions used in mathematics and science?

Entire functions are used in many areas of mathematics and science, including complex analysis, number theory, and physics. They are especially useful in the study of complex dynamics and the behavior of functions on the complex plane. They also have applications in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics, among others.