Power Series- radius of convergence

In summary, the radius of convergence for the given power series is e. This can be found by using the Ratio Test and taking the limit as n goes to infinity, which simplifies to the reciprocal of the limit of 1 + 1/n as n goes to infinity.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

determine the radius of convergence of the given power series

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=1}[/tex][tex]\frac{n!x^n}{n^n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the ratio test
then I had to take the 'ln'
but, my answer is this
|e|<1 for the series to converge.
It never happens but according to the answers the radius is 'e'.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh I think I got it, I didn't have to lhopital lnx in the middle ...
:\

Applying the Ratio Test, we have the sequence

[tex]\frac{(n+1)n^n}{(n+1)^{(n+1)}} = \left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n = \left(\frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{n}}\right)^n[/tex]

Taking the limit as n goes to infinity... this might look like a familiar limit. Then recall that the Radius of convergence is the reciprocal of this limit.

What is a power series and how is it related to radius of convergence?

A power series is an infinite series of the form Σ(an(x-a)n) where an is a sequence of constants and a is a fixed number. The radius of convergence refers to the range of values for x that makes the series converge. In other words, it is the distance from the center point a to the nearest point where the series no longer converges.

How is the radius of convergence determined for a power series?

The radius of convergence is determined using the ratio test. This involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges. If it is greater than 1, the series diverges. If it is equal to 1, further tests are needed to determine convergence or divergence.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence can only be a positive number or infinity. Negative values do not make sense in the context of a power series.

What happens if the radius of convergence is 0?

If the radius of convergence is 0, it means that the series only converges at the center point a and diverges everywhere else. This could be due to the function having a singularity at the center point or the series representing a discontinuous function.

Is there a relationship between the radius of convergence and the convergence of the series at the endpoints?

Yes, the series will always converge at the endpoints of the interval of convergence, regardless of the value of the radius of convergence. However, it is possible for the series to converge at the endpoints but not on any other point within the interval of convergence.