Solid Mechanics, calculating reaction forces and M(X) for a cantilever thing

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the reaction force on the right side and the net sum of moments. It also mentions the boundary conditions of v(0) = v(L) = 0 and the interpretation of the left support. There is some uncertainty about the correctness of the assumptions and the diagram.
PenTrik

Homework Statement

ProblemCheck.jpg

Homework Equations

M = F * D

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I need to find the reaction force on the right side. So what I first did was make the sum of the moment on the left equals zero.
[tex]0 = M_0 + r_y * L.[/tex]
[tex]r_y = \frac{-M_0}{L}[/tex]
I think this is right.

When you take net sum of the moments, then there should be no moment imparted by the wall correct? I'm not sure.

For my M(X) term, assuming that I have my reaction forces on the right correct, it should be
[tex]M_0 - \frac{M_0}{L} * (L-X) [/tex]

As for the boundary conditions, I'm not really sure what they should be. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to mean v(0) = v(L) = 0

I'm not sure if this is correct at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The support on the left is unusual, if not impractical, but I interpret it as being a normal encastre support resting rx and moment, but with no vertical restraint. Therefore ry must be zero. Your ry=M0/L is correct for a left hand support resisting ry but not rx. Are you sure the diagram is correct?
If the left support is capable of resisting moment then your assumption that it is zero is not correct. If the left support resists only rx, then the whole thing is a mechanism, with rotation about the right support.

1. What is Solid Mechanics?

Solid Mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid materials under external forces. It involves the study of how forces and deformations affect the mechanical properties of materials, such as their strength, stiffness, and stability.

2. How do you calculate reaction forces in Solid Mechanics?

To calculate reaction forces, you need to use the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on a body must equal zero. By drawing a free body diagram and applying equations of equilibrium, such as the sum of forces in the x and y directions being equal to zero, you can determine the reaction forces at the supports.

3. What is the purpose of determining M(X) for a cantilever?

M(X) refers to the bending moment at a specific location along a cantilever beam. It is important to determine M(X) because it helps us understand how the beam will behave under different loading conditions. By knowing the bending moment at different points, we can design the beam to have the necessary strength and stiffness to support the desired load.

4. How do you calculate M(X) for a cantilever beam?

To calculate M(X), you need to know the applied loads, the length of the beam, and the support conditions. You can then use the equations of static equilibrium and the bending moment equation to determine the bending moment at a specific point along the beam. It is also helpful to draw a shear and moment diagram to visualize the distribution of forces and moments along the beam.

5. What are some common applications of Solid Mechanics?

Solid Mechanics has many practical applications in engineering and science, including structural design, material testing, machine design, and biomechanics. It is used in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure they can withstand the forces and loads they will experience. It is also used in the development of new materials and products, such as aircraft and automotive parts, to ensure they have the necessary strength and durability.