Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem

• Thread starter jomanscool2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, the conversation is about proving the equivalence of two equations using a truth table and the properties of boolean logic. The first attempt involved a brute force approach and was not ideal. The second attempt is in progress and involves trying to add a "not p" term into the second term of the first line in the second block of expressions. The conversation ends with the suggestion to post which properties are being used in each stage and to consider two key properties that may help reach a solution.
jomanscool2

Homework Statement

Part a was to prove the equivalence of the two equations using a truth table. Done.
Part b is to prove the equation using the 10 properties of boolean logic, as seen in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_logic#Properties"

We are trying to prove:
(p∨q)∧(¬q∨r) ⇔ (p∧r)∨((p∧(¬q∧¬r))∨(¬p∧(q∧r))).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done one solution, which was basically a brute force attempt at the problem including lots of distribution over and over again. It was over two pages long and about 40 steps. Not ideal, and not full credit for the problem either. My current attempt I am just in need of a way to 'legally' add in a "not p" into the second term of the first line in the second block of expressions. The first block is working from the longer equation to the short one, and the other block is from the shorter to the longer, trying to meet in the middle.

I have no idea if this will lead to a solution, but I am being hopeful!

(p∧r)∨((p∧(¬q∧¬r))∨(¬p∧(q∧r)))
(p∧(r∨(¬q∧¬r)))∨(¬p∧(q∧r))
(p∧((r∨¬r)∧(r∨¬q)))∨(¬p∧(q∧r))
(p∧(T_0∧(r∨¬q)))∨(¬p∧(q∧r))
(p∧(r∨¬q))∨(¬p∧(q∧r ))

(p∧(r∨¬q))∨(q∧r)
(p∧(r∨¬q))∨(F_0∨(q∧r))
(p∧(r∨¬q))∨((q∧¬q)∨(q∧r))
(p∧(r∨¬q))∨(q∧(r∨¬q))
(p∨q)∧(r∨¬q)

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get that last step on the proof I just posted, or any guidance of another short (half a page typed) proofs for this equation.

Edit: the half that contains the difference is not equal on a truth table, meaning it cannot be directly converted. If I were to connect those two equations, I believe that the entire equation would have to be manipulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by posting which properties you're using in each stage. You'll quickly see that you're only using about 4 and dropping out two key properties that'll go a long way towards getting you to a solution.

What is the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem?

The Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining whether two Boolean equations are equivalent, meaning they produce the same output for all possible inputs.

Why is the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem important?

The Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem is important because it has many applications in computer science, logic, and electronic circuit design. It allows us to simplify complex Boolean equations and ensure the accuracy of digital systems.

What are some common methods for solving the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem?

Some common methods for solving the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem include truth tables, algebraic manipulation, and Karnaugh maps. Advanced techniques such as Quine-McCluskey method and Boolean satisfiability (SAT) solvers can also be used.

What are some challenges in solving the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem is the exponential growth of the problem space as the number of variables increases. This makes it difficult to find an efficient solution, especially for larger equations.

What are some real-world applications of the Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem?

The Boolean Equation Equivalence Problem has many real-world applications, including digital circuit design, software verification, and automated theorem proving. It is also used in computer security to detect vulnerabilities and in artificial intelligence for symbolic reasoning.