Are DU Shells Dirty Weapons? Exploring the Debate

• Thread starter kernelpenguin
  • Start date
In summary: DU shells shouldn't be classified as dirty weapons because they have little to no radioactivity, even though the residue left over after they've been used can cause cancer.
kernelpenguin
This probably shouldn't be under philosophy, but what the hell.

A dirty weapon is an area denial weapon. It is used to make an area uninhabitable by delivering a payload of radioactive or toxic goo, which is harmful to life. It is feared that terrorists might use dirty weapons in major cities to render them uninhabitable and kill civilians in the process.

Depleted uranium (DU) shells have a slightly radioactive payload and their weight is the property that they are used for. While the radioactivity is of little to no threat to humans, dust from DU shells when inhaled or ingested can allegedly cause cancer and is allegedly to blame for the high rate of deformed births in Iraq following the first Gulf War.

So my question is, do you think that DU shells should be classified as dirty weapons? And what is your reasoning behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
From your own definitions, depleted uranium shells are not dirty weapons even though they have some residual radioctivity. They should be banned because of this but it really just confuses the issue to mix them up with genuine area denial weapons. If you wanted to use a dirty weapon for area denial, you would certainlly not choose depleted uranium shells.

A dirty weapon is more than that. It is intended to be a weapon of mass descruction and a weapon to instill fear.

Regarding DU causing cancer and it being a dirty weapon. It is a weapon no doubt. But it is not intended to rain radiopactive waste on areas and kill by radioactivity. Under odd circumstances it may be possible for people to get cancer from it under rare conditions. However just because a weapon can do harm it doesn't mean that it will do that harm. I used to smoke. But Philip Morrison wass not trying to use a weapon on me. At least I wouldn't call it a weapon. Yet I could have gotten cancer from it. Cigarettes give off "second hand smoke" and the people around this smoke can get cancer too. Are cigarettes dirty weapons? I don't think so. The DU is the weapon. The residue left over after the DU has served its purpose can cause cancer.

No. I don't consider them dirty weapons.

Pete

1. Are DU shells considered dirty weapons?

There is a lot of debate surrounding this question. Some argue that DU (depleted uranium) shells are not considered dirty weapons because they do not release radioactive particles upon impact. However, others argue that DU can still have negative health and environmental effects, earning them the label of "dirty weapons".

2. What are the potential health effects of DU shells?

There is ongoing research about the potential health effects of DU shells. Some studies suggest that exposure to DU can increase the risk of cancer, birth defects, and other health issues. However, others argue that the amount of DU used in shells is not significant enough to cause harm.

3. Do DU shells have an impact on the environment?

Again, there is much debate about this question. Some argue that DU shells can contaminate soil and water, causing harm to plants and animals. However, others argue that the amount of DU used in shells is not significant enough to have a significant impact on the environment.

4. How are DU shells regulated?

In the United States, the use of DU shells is regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the Department of Defense. These agencies have guidelines in place for the production, use, and disposal of DU shells to minimize potential harm.

5. Are there alternatives to using DU shells?

Yes, there are alternatives to using DU shells in military operations. Some countries have already banned the use of DU in weapons and are using alternative materials such as tungsten. However, others argue that DU is still the most effective and efficient material for certain types of weapons.