How to Find Intercept with Axis for Miller Indices?

• Thread starter itsvt2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, for direction 1 and 2, the indexes x, y, and z need to be found for both. The definition of an index in this context is the direction [x, y, z]. The point in the table can be calculated from the origin. Direction 1 is [0, 0.25, 0.3] and direction 2 is [0.4, 0.25, -0.3]. These values can be justified using Pythagoras theorem. In British English, the terms would be "x, y, z components" instead of "indices". To find intercept with axis for Miller indices, further clarification or assistance may be needed.
itsvt2013

Homework Statement

for direction 1 and 2, find the indexes x y z for both

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

direction 1 is 0,0.25,0.3 ?
direction 2 is 0,-0.3,0.25 ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of an index?

icantadd said:
What is the definition of an index?

the direction [x,y,z]

Okay, I see the pic now. You are starting from the origin. Just calculate where the point is in the table.

icantadd said:
Okay, I see the pic now. You are starting from the origin. Just calculate where the point is in the table.

I'm not quite really sure if I get this right since it is in 3D and is very confusing.

Now, I have Direction 1 [0, 0.25, 0.3]

Direction 2 [0.4, 0.25, -0.3]

Would you please verify if what I have looks good?

Thank you in advance

Yeah, now it looks good. If you need to justify the distances, ue pythagoras theorem.

icantadd said:
Yeah, now it looks good. If you need to justify the distances, ue pythagoras theorem.

Alright, thank you very much for your clarifications.

The standard English term is "x, y, z components" not "indices". In "British English", the letters "x", "y", "z" in, say, [itex]u_x[/itex], [itex]u_y[/itex], or [itex]u_z[/itex] would be "indices" (in "American English", "subscripts").

hi,can anybody tell how to find intercept with axis for miller indices?

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are typically represented as arrows in a coordinate system, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What are vector indexes?

Vector indexes are the position or location of a specific element within a vector. They are typically represented by integers, and can be used to access or manipulate the element at that particular position.

3. How are vector indexes labeled?

Vector indexes are labeled using numerical values, starting from 0 and increasing by 1 for each subsequent element. For example, the first element in a vector would have an index of 0, the second element would have an index of 1, and so on.

4. What do x, y, and z represent in vectors?

In a three-dimensional coordinate system, x, y, and z represent the three axes: x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis respectively. These axes are used to determine the position and direction of a vector in three-dimensional space.

5. How are vectors represented graphically?

Vectors are typically represented graphically as arrows in a coordinate system. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The starting point of the arrow is usually at the origin of the coordinate system.