What is the Oxidation State of Ti in TiO2?

In summary, Tina answered your question correctly and there is no need to worry about the oxidation state of titanium in TiO2.
Widow
Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Widow said:
Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peroxides technically have the oxygens bonded to each other. TiO2 is titanium dioxide. It has a oxidation state of +4 because the two oxygens are not bonded to each other and each have an oxidation state of -2. (Two oxygens each having -2 state vs. peroxide oxygen which has O2 (-2) state)

Tina already answered your question correctly. The simplest and shortest answer is: TiO2 is not a peroxide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! :)

Hello! Thank you for your question. The oxidation state of Ti in TiO2 is indeed +4. This is because the oxidation state of oxygen in most compounds, including TiO2, is -2. Therefore, in order for the overall compound to have a neutral charge, the oxidation state of Ti must be +4.

You are correct in your understanding that in peroxides, such as H2O2, the oxidation state of oxygen is -1. However, TiO2 is not a peroxide. It is a compound known as titanium dioxide, which has a different chemical structure than peroxides. In TiO2, each oxygen atom is bonded to two titanium atoms, resulting in a -2 charge on each oxygen atom.

It is important to note that oxidation states are assigned based on the distribution of electrons in a compound, and can vary depending on the compound's structure and bonding. In the case of TiO2, the oxidation state of Ti is +4, regardless of the oxidation state of oxygen in other compounds such as peroxides.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the oxidation state of TiO2?

The oxidation state of TiO2 is +4.

2. How is the oxidation state of TiO2 determined?

The oxidation state of TiO2 is determined by counting the number of valence electrons that titanium (Ti) and oxygen (O) contribute to the compound.

3. Why is the oxidation state of TiO2 important?

The oxidation state of TiO2 is important because it affects the chemical and physical properties of the compound. It also influences its reactivity and potential applications.

4. Can the oxidation state of TiO2 change?

Yes, the oxidation state of TiO2 can change depending on the environment it is in. It can be reduced to a lower oxidation state (-2 or +2) or oxidized to a higher state (+5 or +6).

5. What are some examples of compounds with different oxidation states of TiO2?

TiO2 is commonly found in two main oxidation states: +4 (titanium dioxide) and +3 (titanium trioxide). Other examples include titanium oxynitride (TiON), titanium(II) oxide (TiO), and titanium(IV) oxide chloride (TiOCl2).