How much visible light is emitted by a 100 W tungsten light bulb?

In summary, the spectral energy density of radiation emitted by a tungsten filament operating at 3000K is 8.pi multiplied by 1 divided by exp(-1) which is around A.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Assume that the tungsten filament of an incandescent [tex]100 W[/tex] light bulb can be considered as a black body.
Estimate the percentage of the irradiated energy in the visible spectra.
The effective area of the filament is [tex]100 mm^2[/tex].
There are 3 more questions in the exercise that I'll try to do on my own.

Homework Equations

Not even sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I really think I need is the expression of the function [tex]u(\lambda )[/tex] that we can see in the picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wiens_law.svg.
Otherwise than this, I've attempted to use Wien's displacement law to see what wavelength of light is most created by the filament. But it's not a good idea, I couldn't even make a percentage guess. For instance if I get a wavelength of the kilometer order (I know I should get infrared which is somehow shorter), I'd have no idea about what would be the percentage of energy irradiated in the visible spectra. I'm just out of ideas. I'd like to listen to you guys, what would you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The spectral energy density: [tex]u(\lambda,T)=\frac{8\pi hc}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{exp(\frac{hc}{\lambda k_BT})-1}[/tex]
A typical incandescent light bulb has operating temperature of about 3000K. So one unknown is known :biggrin:
The visible spectrum is very narrow, i.e. from 400nm to 750nm. If you plot the function u on this interval, you will see that it's nearly a straight line. So the power of visible radiation emitted is:
[tex]P_{visible}=\int^{\lambda_{red}}_{\lambda_{blue}}Au(\lambda,T)d\lambda \approx A\frac{u(\lambda_{red})+u(\lambda_{blue})}{2}(\lambda_{red}-\lambda_{blue})[/tex]

hikaru1221 said:
The spectral energy density: [tex]u(\lambda,T)=\frac{8\pi hc}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{exp(\frac{hc}{\lambda k_BT})-1}[/tex]
A typical incandescent light bulb has operating temperature of about 3000K. So one unknown is known :biggrin:
The visible spectrum is very narrow, i.e. from 400nm to 750nm. If you plot the function u on this interval, you will see that it's nearly a straight line. So the power of visible radiation emitted is:
[tex]P_{visible}=\int^{\lambda_{red}}_{\lambda_{blue}}Au(\lambda,T)d\lambda \approx A\frac{u(\lambda_{red})+u(\lambda_{blue})}{2}(\lambda_{red}-\lambda_{blue})[/tex]
Thank you very much. Your function u reminded me of Plank's law, so I found in wikipedia your expression: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law#Overview.
I'll try to finish the exercise tomorrow, right now I'm going to bed.
Out of curiosity, you gave me an extra information, namely that the filament is at 3000K. But, shouldn't I derive it say by using the fact that it's a 100 W light bulb and that the effective area of the filament is 100 mm^2?

fluidistic said:
Thank you very much. Your function u reminded me of Plank's law, so I found in wikipedia your expression: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law#Overview.
I'll try to finish the exercise tomorrow, right now I'm going to bed.
Out of curiosity, you gave me an extra information, namely that the filament is at 3000K. But, shouldn't I derive it say by using the fact that it's a 100 W light bulb and that the effective area of the filament is 100 mm^2?

I would look at the Stefan–Boltzmann law. You've got 100W coming out of the area of the filament. Doesn't that let you estimate its temperature?

fluidistic said:

Thanks. Now you remind me of Stephan-Boltzmann law :biggrin: The first thing coming to my mind was an actual light bulb, so I used the 3000K temperature to estimate. Using Stephan-Boltzmann law would be more theoretically accurate, so I encourage you to apply the law :smile:
By the way, I didn't expect the theoretical temperature to be just 2000K (calculate and you will see it). Quite a big difference from practice.

P.S: That big difference is true. From this page: emissivity of tungsten aged filament is from 0.032 to 0.35, quite low but possible for metal.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/emissivity-coefficients-d_447.html

1. What is a black body?

A black body is an object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits radiation at all wavelengths equally. This means that it appears completely black at all temperatures and does not reflect or transmit any light.

2. How do light bulbs function as black bodies?

Light bulbs function as black bodies because they are designed to emit thermal radiation at all wavelengths. The filament in the light bulb is heated to a high temperature, causing it to emit light in the visible spectrum as well as infrared radiation, making it function as a black body.

3. Why are black bodies important in studying light bulbs?

Black bodies are important in studying light bulbs because they provide a standard for comparison when analyzing the efficiency and performance of different light sources. By understanding how a black body emits radiation, we can better understand the behavior of light bulbs and improve their design.

4. How does temperature affect the radiation emitted by a light bulb?

The temperature of a light bulb directly affects the amount and type of radiation emitted. As the temperature increases, the amount of radiation increases and shifts towards shorter wavelengths, resulting in a brighter and bluer light. This is known as the black body radiation curve.

5. Can light bulbs ever be true black bodies?

No, light bulbs can never be true black bodies because they are designed to emit visible light rather than absorbing all radiation. However, they can come close to behaving like black bodies at high temperatures, which is why they are often used as a reference for black body radiation curves.