Town clock seconds hand speed and centripetal acceleration

In summary, the speed of the tip of the minute hand on a town clock is 0.00136 m/s, and the length of the minute hand and the second hand are the same. The speed of the tip of the second hand is also 0.00136 m/s, and the centripetal acceleration of the tip of the second hand can be calculated using the equations provided.
gap0063
1. (a)The speed of the tip of the minute hand on a
town clock is 0.00136 m/s.
What is the speed of the tip of the second
hand of the same length?
Answer in units of m/s.

(b)What is the centripetal acceleration of the tip
of the second hand?
Answer in units of m/s2.

Homework Equations

atotal = sq rt (a2 radial + a2 tangential) where aradial = −v2/r and atangential = d|v|/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this... I just think I need to use those equations

Physics news on Phys.org
gap0063 said:

Homework Equations

atotal = sq rt (a2 radial + a2 tangential) where aradial = −v2/r and atangential = d|v|/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this... I just think I need to use those equations
Your relevant equations only deal with acceleration. But anyway, as a place to start, what is the length of the minute hand?

1. What is the relationship between the seconds hand speed and centripetal acceleration of a town clock?

The seconds hand speed and the centripetal acceleration of a town clock are directly related. This means that as the seconds hand speed increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases.

2. How does the mass of the town clock affect the seconds hand speed and centripetal acceleration?

The mass of the town clock does not have a direct effect on the seconds hand speed and centripetal acceleration. These factors are determined by the length of the clock hand and the speed at which it rotates.

3. What is the formula for calculating the centripetal acceleration of a town clock seconds hand?

The formula for calculating the centripetal acceleration of a town clock seconds hand is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the seconds hand, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

4. Does the shape of the clock hand affect its centripetal acceleration?

No, the shape of the clock hand does not affect its centripetal acceleration. As long as the hand is moving in a circular motion at a constant speed, the centripetal acceleration will remain the same.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding town clock seconds hand speed and centripetal acceleration?

Understanding town clock seconds hand speed and centripetal acceleration can be useful in the design and maintenance of clock mechanisms. It can also be applied in the study of rotational motion and its effects on objects in motion.