Exploring the Phenomenon of Refraction

• Thread starter Draksis314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, refraction occurs when light waves travel at different speeds in different mediums, and the wave must continue across a boundary in order to remain in phase.
Draksis314
Why does refraction occur? I know that it's because light travels at different speeds in different mediums, but I don't see how that would cause a light wave to bend. I found "the wave must continuous across a boundary, which requires that the phase of the wave be constant on any given plane" at http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/SnellsLaw.html" , but I don't really understand what that means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
At the boundary, the "peaks" of the wave on one side have to match up with the "peaks" of the wave on the other side, and similarly the "valleys" have to match up; and they have to remain matched up as time passes.

The explanation I found easiest to understand is that the momentum can not change in the plane of the interface. You can derive Snell's law by requiring that the component of momentum be equal on either side.

Of course, the component normal to the interface will change.

I like the water analogy. In elementary physics we experimented with a wave tank, a large flat tray with an with about 1/2 inch of water. Half the tank had a flat spacer to create a shallow area with a step ledge to the deeper side. Then a wave generator (electric motor vibrating a wood stick on the water) was used to generate a plane wave. As the wave encountered the step at an angle (say 45 deg) the first part of the plane wave to pass the step slows down in the shallower water. The part of the wave still in the deep water sort of caught up to the slower part of the wave. The wave changes direction as a result of this speed change. A beautiful thing to observe on an overhead projector, see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_tank
My other favorite analogy is a marching band making a turn on the field. The marchers on the inside of the turn slow down and the ones on the outside speed up to keep the line straight, same idea.

I think I get it. Thanks for your help!

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, such as air, water, or glass. This bending is due to the change in speed of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. Why does refraction occur?

Refraction occurs because the speed of light changes when it travels from one medium to another. This change in speed causes the light to bend, or refract, as it enters a new medium.

3. What causes the speed of light to change?

The speed of light changes when it enters a medium with a different density or optical properties than the medium it was previously traveling through. This change in density or optical properties affects the speed of light, causing it to either speed up or slow down.

4. Does refraction only occur with visible light?

No, refraction can occur with any type of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, and X-rays. However, refraction is most commonly observed with visible light, as it is the type of electromagnetic radiation that is most easily visible to our eyes.

5. What are some real-life examples of refraction?

Some common examples of refraction in everyday life include the bending of light as it passes through a glass lens, the appearance of a bent straw in a glass of water, and the rainbow effect seen when light passes through a prism. Refraction is also responsible for the way objects appear to be distorted when viewed through a glass of water or a curved window.