Bruce Rosenblum, author of Quantum Enigma

In summary, the conversation was about the concept of decoherence and its role in solving the measurement problem in quantum mechanics. The original email asked for a layman's explanation or resources on decoherence, and the reply stated that decoherence makes interference impossible and solves the measurement problem "for all practical purposes." The concept of mixture was also mentioned, and the conversation ended with a question about further insight on the topic.
StevieTNZ
Hi there,

Here is my email to Bruce Rosenblum, author of Quantum Enigma, his reply below. But I was wondering if someone could elaborate more on what I'm asking as I'm utterly confused.

Reply from Bruce:
"All decoh does is make interference impossible, FAPP. Just FAPP! A mixture FAPP. If your happy with FAPP, decoh solves the measurement problem."

Email to Bruce:
I am racking my brain over trying to understand decoherence… I was wondering if you could please explain it to me in layman terms, or maybe you had a document on decoherence for the non-scientist or point me to a website that would explain it… I know you say in QE that it doesn’t really solve the measurement problem and that consciousness is still encountered, but how? I can understand that if a wavefunction can be written for a system + environment, that it’ll follow QM and QM doesn’t say it’ll collapse – and if QM holds at all times the macroscopic object and environment shouldn’t collapse, which is reasoning given by a emeritus professor of physics. I see written on pg. 191 in QE that even though the object looks wholly in one box, it can still be considered to be a superposition so wouldn’t the same be true for the macroscopic object even if interacting with the environment? But other books are saying the macroscopic object is a mixture, what would mixture mean and how would it relate to superposition’s?

Physics news on Phys.org
@StevieTNZ did you find any more insight on this topic?

1. Who is Bruce Rosenblum?

Bruce Rosenblum is a physicist and author who co-wrote the book "Quantum Enigma" with Fred Kuttner. He is a professor emeritus at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and has also worked at the University of California, Berkeley and the University of British Columbia.

2. What is "Quantum Enigma" about?

"Quantum Enigma" explores the mysteries and paradoxes of quantum mechanics, a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. The book delves into the history, philosophy, and implications of quantum mechanics, challenging readers to think critically about the nature of reality.

3. What makes "Quantum Enigma" unique?

Unlike many other books on quantum mechanics, "Quantum Enigma" focuses on the philosophical and conceptual aspects of the theory rather than the mathematical equations. It also presents different interpretations of quantum mechanics and encourages readers to think about the implications of each interpretation.

4. What are some of the key ideas discussed in "Quantum Enigma"?

"Quantum Enigma" covers a wide range of topics related to quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, entanglement, and the role of observation in shaping reality. It also explores the mind-bending concepts of superposition and quantum teleportation.

5. Who would benefit from reading "Quantum Enigma"?

Anyone with an interest in physics, philosophy, or the nature of reality would benefit from reading "Quantum Enigma." It is written in accessible language and does not require a background in physics, making it suitable for both scientists and non-scientists alike.