Is This Computer Build Optimal for Academic Use with Multi-Monitor Support?

In summary, this is a budget-friendly build with a focus on academic and commercial use, particularly for programs like Matlab, Mathematica, and AutoCAD. The emphasis is on multi-monitor capability, making it suitable for tasks that require a lot of processing power and screen space. The build includes an Intel Core i5-760 CPU, GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 motherboard, Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower case, G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 RAM, OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W power supply, XFX HD
SELFMADE
-Non-gaming
-Academic/commercial use (matlab, mathematica, autocad etc)
-Emphasis on multi-monitor capability

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156
Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PS: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
GPU: XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit
HD: SAMSUNG F3 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

$770

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would make it i7 and add more RAM

Why would you want him to upgrade to an I7, if he's not gaming with it? This build is good, but DDR3, and even the i5, seems like overkill, if your just going to be using it for academic purposes. I'd go with the i3, save yourself some money

OP wants is going to relay heavily on processing power running autocad+matlab or what not needs takes it toll. Besides opening 7 tabs on firefox+ autocad is enough to strain these 4gb of RAM and even processor.

I would say:

• Good budget CPU choice, but I personally think you can get a lot more CPU for just a bit more of your money. Take a hard look at the Core i7 950 which is LGA 1366, giving you a better chance of upgrading CPU without changing mobo in the future.
  • More RAM is always a good thing and not too expensive, 4GB is definite min I would say, 6GB is better.
  • That videocard seems like WAY overkill for what you're wanting to do, unless you plan to utilize GPU computing or something. I would save money on the video card and get a Core i7 950 CPU instead.

Other than that, seems pretty standard. No optical drive, or did you just omit a cheapy $20 DVD burner from your list?

Last edited:
SELFMADE said:
CPU: Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156
Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PS: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
GPU: XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit
HD: SAMSUNG F3 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

nice system only thing i would change is the GPU i would go for a nvidia everytime prices are usually slightly less for comparable cards and as your going to be using CAD software the CUDA option will give you a more stable performance hit, I've never really used Intel CPUs as I've found them well over priced, but at the same time when you do check the specs they will outstrip AMD everytime "Good example of you get what you pay for" so if you can afford the CPU go for it.

Details about http://www.nvidia.com/object/what_is_cuda_new.html"

<--strictly talking as a gamer the CUDA option really does smooth things out when you come to GFX processing

Last edited by a moderator:
CPU:
The i5 is fine but you'll get more cycles for the buck with an AMD chip like the 1050T.

PSU:
I'm not a big fan of OCZ power supplies. I much prefer Corsair, but I guess the OCZ is fine.

GPU: The 5750 is wayyy overkill. AutoCAD doesn't need that much GPU power and you can save some cash by getting something smaller.

HDD: I'd get something faster as a main drive, like the WD Caviar Black 650GB to run programs off of then use the 1TB for storage.

Topher925 said:
CPU:
The i5 is fine but you'll get more cycles for the buck with an AMD chip like the 1050T.

The i5-760 actually outruns the Phenom II x6 1055T, despite the x6's 2 extra cores.

http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/core_i5
MaximumPC.com said:
We are suitably impressed by Intel’s newish 2.8GHz Core i5-760 that we’re going to bump AMD’s budget Phenom II X6 1055T for it. The fact that an Intel quad-core without Hyper-Threading can best a six-core AMD chip is a testament to the strength of Intel’s Nehalem line of processors.

Topher925 said:
GPU: The 5750 is wayyy overkill. AutoCAD doesn't need that much GPU power and you can save some cash by getting something smaller.

I'm actually starting to doubt myself on that- CAD software can be very graphics hungry depending on what you're designing. Considering the video card's only $100, I'd say it's a good middle-of-the-road choice. I would personally choose nVidia over AMD/ATI, but that's just me maybe.

Mech_Engineer said:
The i5-760 actually outruns the Phenom II x6 1055T, despite the x6's 2 extra cores.

http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/core_i5

I guess it depends on the application. I've never seen a benchmark that puts the i5 760 above the 1055T.

Example: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I know in COMSOL, the 1055T destroys the i5's. Probably because the software is designed to use multiple cores.

I'm actually starting to doubt myself on that- CAD software can be very graphics hungry depending on what you're designing. Considering the video card's only $100, I'd say it's a good middle-of-the-road choice. I would personally choose nVidia over AMD/ATI, but that's just me maybe.

True, if you're designing entire buildings in AutoCAD you will definitely need a high end GPU. But CAD doesn't really demand much power unless you start getting into real large designs which 99.9% of CAD users don't. I run Solidworks all the time on my laptop with a 9200M GPU and I've never had problems, even with assemblies with 50+ components.

As you said, since the card is only $100, I guess it really doesn't make a difference since that's a pretty good price:power point.

When it comes to games anyway (multithreaded or no), the i5-750/760 beats the Phenom II 1055.

http://www.techspot.com/review/269-amd-phenom2-x6-1090T-and-1055T/page8.html
Gaming_04.png

What is the purpose of "Critique my computer build"?

The purpose of "Critique my computer build" is to seek feedback and advice from others on a proposed computer build. This can help ensure that the build is suitable for its intended use and that all components are compatible.

What information should be included in a request for a computer build critique?

It is helpful to include a list of all the components being considered, including the brand, model, and specifications. It is also important to provide information on the intended use of the computer and any specific requirements or preferences.

How can I ensure that my computer build is optimized for performance and compatibility?

One way to optimize a computer build is to research and carefully select each component based on its compatibility with other components and its performance capabilities. Seeking feedback and advice from others can also help identify any potential issues or improvements.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a computer?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a computer include not properly researching and selecting compatible components, not properly securing all components in the case, and not properly managing cables and airflow for optimal cooling.

Are there any resources available to help me choose and build a computer?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with choosing and building a computer. These include forums, guides, and tutorials from both manufacturers and experienced computer builders. It is important to consult multiple sources and carefully consider all advice before making decisions for a computer build.

Back