Temperature increase in filament due to resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of measuring the temperature increase in a fine wire made of stainless steel 310 when a current is passed through it. The person is trying to find a correlation between the power dissipated through the wire and the temperature increase relative to the ambient air. They mention using the formula P=I^2*R and ask for tips on correlating thermal properties and steady state temperature. They also mention the role of convection and radiation, and suggest using the resistance of the material at room temperature and the unknown temperature to calculate the average temperature of the wire.
protargol
I'm trying to calculate the temperature increase in a filament which a pass a current through. It's a very fine wire, so making direct measurements is difficult. Also, it's stainless steel 310 instead of a standard material. I can adjust the current, but want to correlate how the power dissipated through it correlates to a temperature increase relative to the ambient air.

So I know the Power from P=I^2*R, but how can I correlate the thermal properties to a temperature increase relative to ambient? Also, I only care about the steady state. Any tips? Thanks.

So I guess a big component to this is how much does convention play a part and how much radiation plays a role?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know the resistance of the material at room temperature (from E/I) and the resistance at your unknown temperature (from E/I), and since you know the material, then you can work out the average temperature of the wire .

You should be able to look up the resistivity of the wire material.

1. How does resistance affect the temperature of a filament?

Resistance in a filament causes the flow of electrons to slow down, resulting in the conversion of electrical energy into heat. This increase in heat leads to a rise in temperature of the filament.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and temperature in a filament?

The relationship between resistance and temperature in a filament is directly proportional. This means that as resistance increases, the temperature of the filament also increases. Conversely, as resistance decreases, the temperature of the filament decreases.

3. What factors can affect the temperature increase in a filament due to resistance?

The temperature increase in a filament due to resistance can be affected by various factors, such as the material of the filament, the length and thickness of the filament, and the amount of current flowing through the filament.

4. Can the temperature increase in a filament due to resistance be controlled?

Yes, the temperature increase in a filament due to resistance can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the filament. This can be done by using a variable resistor or by changing the voltage applied to the filament.

5. What are the potential hazards of high temperature increases in filaments due to resistance?

High temperature increases in filaments due to resistance can lead to overheating and ultimately cause the filament to melt or burn out. This can also be a potential fire hazard if the filament is in close proximity to flammable materials. It is important to properly monitor and regulate temperature increases in filaments to prevent these hazards.