Differential and derivatives [HELP]

In summary: This is commonly used in dynamics and thermodynamics to represent small changes in area or volume (dA or dV) as a result of a force (F) or pressure (P) acting on a small displacement (dr or dV).
xmedium
Can someone explain to me what are differential and derivatives used for (intergrals ?) in some well known stuff from dynamics or thermodynamics:

dA=Fdr or in thermodynamics PdV

For example what is that dV ... why not just V.

Why do I sometimes write a=d^2r/dt^2 instead of a=r(:)/t(.)

(':' 2nd derivate and '.' is first derivate ------ so sorry for the input I am in a rush)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The dots are just a shorthand notation, there is no difference.

dV is a small amount of V. How small? The smallest possible. The exact amount does not need to be known in the context of differential equations.

This is known as "the calculus". There are many notes and courses on the subject.

Im watching now someMIT courses ... is there something similar for this coz I don't really understand what "smallest possible" Work(A) might be :)

Work (A) = Force (F) * Displacement (r)

If the displacement is not a straight line, then we can break the path up into a series of straight lines, and so the work is then the sum of all F*r for each r, or segment of the path. Letting this segment lengths approach zero, the sum becomes an integral and the "r's" becomes "dr's". Differentiating with respect to r, dA/dr = F , or in differential form, dA = Fdr.

1. What is the difference between differential and derivative?

Differential is the infinitesimal change in a function or variables, while derivative is the rate of change of a function at a specific point. Differential is the basis for calculating derivatives.

2. How are differentials and derivatives used in mathematics and science?

Differentials and derivatives are used to calculate rates of change, determine maximum and minimum values of a function, and solve optimization problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. Can you give an example of a real-world application of differentials and derivatives?

One example is in physics, where differentials and derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration of objects in motion. For instance, the derivative of a position function gives the velocity of an object at a specific time.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using differentials and derivatives?

One limitation is that differentials and derivatives assume the function to be continuous and differentiable. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case. Also, they may not provide accurate results when dealing with extreme values or discontinuities in a function.

5. How can I improve my understanding and application of differentials and derivatives?

To improve your understanding and application of differentials and derivatives, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different types of functions. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to clarify any doubts and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.