What should I eat and how can I calm my nerves before my first live performance?

• Thread starter mephisto51
  • Start date
In summary, in one month you will be performing in front of a crowd of 150+ people at the Relay for Life show. You are wondering what foods to eat to improve your vocals and how to calm your nerves. Some advice given includes drinking water at room temperature, avoiding cold water, not consuming alcohol or caffeine before the performance, having a light meal beforehand, and doing vocal exercises. It is also important to have confidence and not overthink your food and drink choices.
mephisto51
In one month I am scheduled to perform live (Sing and guitar) at the Relay for Life show. This is my first time performing in front of a crowd. (150+ people) I heard that based upon the foods you eat, the better your vocals can sound or simply interact better, what should I eat?
Secondly, I'm nervous and I know that's a normal thing. Is there anyway to calm that down when I get that fear of them 'boo'ing? I heard some foods somehow help with that too.
Also, any advice that's relevant to performing? or certain things I should keep aware of?
Sources would be appreciated too.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All I know is to drink water at room temperature. Cold water will tighten your vocal cords.

Encourage your audience to drink a lot of alcohol :tongue2:.

Just relax. Warm up atleast 20 mins before you go on stage, play an easy first track so that you get used to the stage and save the tougher tracks for later. Make sure you have a friend or someone you trust on the mixer who keeps everyone else away from it while you're playing. Dont worry about the actual playing/singing; going on stage is easier than you might imagine.

Not much advice to add. Just wanted to say- Good Luck!

You braver than me, but your also probably a much better guitarist than me if your even considering performing! I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

Keep it simple and don't get hammered or charge up on caffeine before the performance. Years back, when I was playing quite frequently, I'd indulge in a cup of espresso and a shot of Irish whiskey before performances. That made me feel better about taking the stage, but I don't know if it helped my performances (I suspect not).

Go on stage with an empty stomach or at best a light meal under your belt. That will give you extra room to work your diaphragm for the best voice-control. Physical fitness is not a short-term fix, but it is pretty important. Know your material and be prepared to improvise yourself out of any glitch, to make you and your band-mates look good. If somebody screws up a key-change, you should be able to roll with it and patch it up.

Good luck.

Right now, find every chance you can to play in front of people. Even the pro's get cold feet. But they know from doing it over and over again, that its not going to harm you. Enjoy it, have fun.

hypatia said:
Right now, find every chance you can to play in front of people. Even the pro's get cold feet. But they know from doing it over and over again, that its not going to harm you. Enjoy it, have fun.
Pros don't get cold feet, in my experience, because they LOVE what they're doing. When I cut my traveling and consulting and got back into live performances on weekends, I was a bit nervous because I had been out of the game for a while. Pretty soon, I was back in the comfort zone, and stopped making excuses for myself. Not long after, the staff at the tavern that I was performing at insisted that the owner hire me to host the open-mic jams. This didn't set well with the previous (several years) host who was pissed that I took an easy Sunday gig away from him.

Eat lots of beans about 2 hours before the performance, and wash them down with carbonated beverages.

On a more serious note, several singers I know mix in a bit of honey with their water.

If you've ever sung, try vocal exercises. It may sound silly, but start at your lowest comfortable octive and sing "Do re mi", going up and up to your highest COMFORTABLE range. Then down... then up. Rest, drink some water a la Bernhardt, and repeat, presing your range a little. Remember to project... you're aiming for the back of the room, from the diagphragm.

Above all, if you mess up, just keep going and don't panic. People don't mind a slip, if they even notice it... it's the stumbling, "I'm sorry folks hold on" that seems amateurish. You're going to be fine, but it can't hurt to have a light meal either.

Don't drink a lot of caffeinated beverages, or alcohol... both will just send you to the WC.

mephisto51 said:
In one month I am scheduled to perform live (Sing and guitar) at the Relay for Life show. This is my first time performing in front of a crowd. (150+ people) I heard that based upon the foods you eat, the better your vocals can sound or simply interact better, what should I eat?
Secondly, I'm nervous and I know that's a normal thing. Is there anyway to calm that down when I get that fear of them 'boo'ing? I heard some foods somehow help with that too.
Also, any advice that's relevant to performing? or certain things I should keep aware of?
Thanks.

I used to play trumpet professionally for weddings and military services. I've found that the best thing you can do is not OVER THINK what you're going to eat or drink. Personally, I used to bring a lot of Arizona Green Tea (it has honey in it) to any performance (trumpet players are also plagued by dry mouth and raw throats). In reality, though, I figured it was more of a placebo effect after a while; certainly comforting.

As far as "nerves." Just remember you're the one performing for a reason. Confidence will benefit both you and your audience.

FlexGunship said:
I used to play trumpet professionally for weddings and military services. I've found that the best thing you can do is not OVER THINK what you're going to eat or drink. Personally, I used to bring a lot of Arizona Green Tea (it has honey in it) to any performance (trumpet players are also plagued by dry mouth and raw throats). In reality, though, I figured it was more of a placebo effect after a while; certainly comforting.

As far as "nerves." Just remember you're the one performing for a reason. Confidence will benefit both you and your audience.

You play the trumpet!? So do I! That's exactly how I got into eating a spoon of honey per day... :bugeye:
(edit: Tupelo is my favorite for that... you can carry it in a flask, and it NEVER crystalizes. Just shoot it down and bam... sweet throat.)

Do you still play Flex? I found a Yamaha digital mute that silences the sucker and let's me run it tone-perfect through speakers, my PC, or headphones. Nothing like kicking back and playing in my apartment in the middle of the night, disturbing nobody.

nismaratwork said:
You play the trumpet!? So do I! That's exactly how I got into eating a spoon of honey per day... :bugeye:
(edit: Tupelo is my favorite for that... you can carry it in a flask, and it NEVER crystalizes. Just shoot it down and bam... sweet throat.)

Do you still play Flex? I found a Yamaha digital mute that silences the sucker and let's me run it tone-perfect through speakers, my PC, or headphones. Nothing like kicking back and playing in my apartment in the middle of the night, disturbing nobody.
Interesting. I played trumpet in elementary and JHS bands, high school band, regional and state orchestras, and for paying weekend gigs. I played bugle in Boy Scouts, and I have played Taps for more funerals than I can remember. Playing Taps bothered me (nervousness) more than other performances because it was the last tribute for fallen military veterans, and I wanted it to be perfect.

turbo-1 said:
Interesting. I played trumpet in elementary and JHS bands, high school band, regional and state orchestras, and for paying weekend gigs. I played bugle in Boy Scouts, and I have played Taps for more funerals than I can remember. Playing Taps bothered me (nervousness) more than other performances because it was the last tribute for fallen military veterans, and I wanted it to be perfect.

Yeah... bugle's can throw a trumpeteer... you have to really work the chops and air-flow to compensate for the lack of valves. I'm fairly sure that taking matters so seriously is a kind of respect and honor of its own, whether or not it's pitch-perfect.

Revile on the other hand, is a load of fun.

Do we have a lot of trumpeters here?

nismaratwork said:
Yeah... bugle's can throw a trumpeteer... you have to really work the chops and air-flow to compensate for the lack of valves. I'm fairly sure that taking matters so seriously is a kind of respect and honor of its own, whether or not it's pitch-perfect.
Bugle threw me a bit in elementary and JHS. By the time I hit HS, I had the bugle down pretty well. I usually subbed by trumpet mouthpiece for the one that came with the bugle, to make sure that I had a familiar mouthpiece in when I played Taps.

turbo-1 said:
Bugle threw me a bit in elementary and JHS. By the time I hit HS, I had the bugle down pretty well. I usually subbed by trumpet mouthpiece for the one that came with the bugle, to make sure that I had a familiar mouthpiece in when I played Taps.

Ahhhh... clever!

nismaratwork said:

Not much anymore. I was the principle trumpet for the New England Youth Symphony Orchestra when I was 18 (age limit). And, I ALSO have the Yamaha Silent Brass. I used it to record cold synth-sounding trumpet parts when I got into writing dance music on my computer.

I don't play much anymore. I got playing with local groups after college (I actually started the concert band in my college) but lost interest because of the frustratingly large range of ability and talent. Not that I was a snob, but it really sucked the fun out of it.

mephisto51 said:
Thanks.

I've played live a bunch of times (drums). The only real advice I have is to not take yourself so seriously- everyone's there to have fun, right?

If a shot of alcohol helps cool your nerves, do it. Otherwise, remember "nervous energy is good energy".

FlexGunship said:
Not much anymore. I was the principle trumpet for the New England Youth Symphony Orchestra when I was 18 (age limit). And, I ALSO have the Yamaha Silent Brass. I used it to record cold synth-sounding trumpet parts when I got into writing dance music on my computer.

I don't play much anymore. I got playing with local groups after college (I actually started the concert band in my college) but lost interest because of the frustratingly large range of ability and talent. Not that I was a snob, but it really sucked the fun out of it.

Yeah, I can understand that; you don't work so hard only to backpedal.

@Andy: Alcohol? That seems... potentially unwise for reasons of inhibition, setting a pattern, and bathroom breaks. Those last two mostly.

Oh, and it might not be the best thing to sing along with...

nismaratwork said:
@Andy: Alcohol? That seems... potentially unwise for reasons of inhibition, setting a pattern, and bathroom breaks. Those last two mostly.

Oh, and it might not be the best thing to sing along with...

As I said, it all depends on the individual. Inhibition is *precisely* the point- one cannot play expressively while clenched up tight. I have *never* had problems with bathroom breaks.

Personally, I play best when I'm barely able to sit in the chair (not my kit):

"War Pigs" (Black Sabbath) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJLLxPZkh5c&playnext=1&list=PL5B24E852F308BBB8

"Thela Hun Jingeet" (King Crimson) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b9WJb1HuV8&feature=related

Andy Resnick said:
As I said, it all depends on the individual. Inhibition is *precisely* the point- one cannot play expressively while clenched up tight. I have *never* had problems with bathroom breaks.

Personally, I play best when I'm barely able to sit in the chair (not my kit):

"War Pigs" (Black Sabbath) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJLLxPZkh5c&playnext=1&list=PL5B24E852F308BBB8

"Thela Hun Jingeet" (King Crimson) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b9WJb1HuV8&feature=related

'Andrew Resnick is: ULTRA BLADDER II: The Tinkling!'

:wink:

I get the idea though, I'm the type who doesn't fare well with booze + performance... I just tend to want take a nap. :tongue:

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

lisab said:
Encourage your audience to drink a lot of alcohol :tongue2:.

I'll be sure to slip them all some roofies while I'm at it. :biggrin:

What should I eat before my first live performance?

It is important to choose foods that will provide sustained energy without causing digestive discomfort. Some good options include complex carbohydrates like whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid foods that are high in sugar or processed, as they can lead to a crash in energy levels.

How can I calm my nerves before my first live performance?

There are several techniques you can use to calm your nerves before a performance. Deep breathing exercises, visualization, and positive self-talk can all help to reduce anxiety. It is also important to get enough rest and practice relaxation techniques regularly to help manage performance anxiety.

Should I eat a big meal before my first live performance?

No, it is best to eat a light meal before a performance to avoid feeling too full or bloated. This will also help to prevent digestive discomfort during the performance. If you are feeling hungry, opt for a small snack such as a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.

Are there any foods I should avoid before a live performance?

Yes, it is best to avoid foods that are high in sugar or caffeine before a performance. These can lead to a spike in energy levels followed by a crash, which can affect your performance. It is also important to avoid foods that you know may cause digestive discomfort or bloating.

How far in advance should I eat before my first live performance?

It is recommended to eat a light meal or snack about 2-3 hours before your performance. This will give your body enough time to digest the food and provide you with sustained energy. It is also important to stay hydrated before and during the performance.