Higgs Field/Particle: Evidence for Theory?

• Thread starter _PJ_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Higgs
In summary, the Higgs field is a theoretical concept used to explain the spontaneous breaking of electroweak symmetry and its implications on the behavior of light, gravity, and the universe. While there are alternative explanations, the Higgs field is the simplest known way to explain this phenomenon. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has collected data that supports the existence of the Higgs boson, but so far it has only seen the expected number. However, there is potential for further discoveries as the LHC continues to collect more data.
_PJ_
I must admit, whilst I can accept the physics of the "energy well" for a Higgs field, and its implications for limiting light and gravity etc. but overall, I find it rather too 'contrived'.

Are there any actual experimental results or evidence to support the theory that aren't typically "retrospective"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost every word in this post is incorrect, but let me say that the Higgs field is the simplest way known to break electroweak symmetry. Alternatives exist, but they are considerably more complex.

Bill_K said:
Almost every word in this post is incorrect,.
I'll assume you refer to my post, rather than your own?
What do you mean by an incorrect word?

doesnt limit gravity

The Higgs Field is a great way to explain spontaneous gauge symmetry breaking which affects almost everything pertaining to the Universe and its origins. As far as I know, there is no other quantum physical way to explain the creation of the inhomogeneities that eventually expanded into the particles of primordial nucleosynthesis.

Yes, and the LHC has collected 0.05% of the data and half the energy. It sees exactly the same number of Higgses as expected.

Yes.LHC firing on all cylinders, but no Higgs boson yet:cry:

No, not firing on all cylinders. Reread my post.

Keep an eye on this plot. If nothing happens by the time the vertical axis gets up to 1000 or so, you can start using the crying emoticon. (It's currently around 26 -- more than half of last year's total data in about the space of a week!)

1. What is the Higgs field and particle?

The Higgs field and particle are components of the Standard Model of particle physics. The Higgs field is a theoretical field that permeates all of space and gives particles their mass. The Higgs particle, also known as the Higgs boson, is a subatomic particle that is thought to be the carrier of the Higgs field.

2. How was the Higgs particle discovered?

The Higgs particle was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. Scientists used the LHC to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and collide them together. By analyzing the data from these collisions, they were able to identify the Higgs particle's unique signature.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the Higgs field?

One piece of evidence for the Higgs field is the discovery of the Higgs particle. Additionally, the Standard Model of particle physics predicts the existence of the Higgs field and its interactions with other particles. The Higgs field is also essential for the mathematical consistency of the Standard Model.

4. How does the Higgs field give particles their mass?

The Higgs field interacts with particles as they move through space, slowing them down and giving them mass. The more a particle interacts with the Higgs field, the more massive it becomes. This is similar to how a swimmer moving through water experiences more resistance and therefore has a harder time moving than a person walking on land.

5. What implications does the discovery of the Higgs particle have for our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs particle confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and validates the Standard Model of particle physics. This is a significant step forward in our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. The Higgs particle also plays a crucial role in the mechanism of how particles acquire mass, which is essential for the formation of galaxies, stars, and ultimately, the universe as we know it.