Calculating the Number of Collisions Required for Neutron Moderation

• Thread starter clynne21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary, the user is seeking help on how to calculate the number of collisions needed to slow a neutron down from 14.1 MeV to thermal energy. They are familiar with the equation needed for the calculation, but are hoping for an easier way to determine the number of collisions instead of the energy after each collision. The solution involves using the relationship between the energy after each collision and the total number of collisions.
clynne21

Homework Statement

How many collisions will be necessary to slow a neutron down from 14.1 MeV to thermal energy (0.0253 eV)? A=24

Homework Equations

E'=[(A-1)/(A+1)]^2 x E

The Attempt at a Solution

The calculation is not an issue- I understand how to use the equation and what numbers go where.
I can use this calculation a hundred or so times to get to the thermal energy, but I'm hoping there is an equation I am missing that will give me the number of collisions instead of the energy after each collision. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and a huge timesaver for me!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi clynne21! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

if E' = kE, then after n times En = knE, or kn = En/E …

can you take it from there? :smile:

Hi tiny-tim!
Awesome- yes I absolutely can take it from there- thank you so much! Just have a seriously tired brain and couldn't wrap it around making that easy :-)

1. What is "neutron moderation"?

Neutron moderation refers to the process of slowing down fast-moving neutrons in a nuclear reactor in order to make them more likely to cause a chain reaction and sustain the reactor.

2. What are "neutron moderation calculations"?

Neutron moderation calculations are calculations done by scientists and engineers to determine the properties and behavior of neutrons within a nuclear reactor and how they can be moderated to ensure safe and efficient operation.

3. How are "neutron moderation calculations" used in nuclear power plants?

Neutron moderation calculations are used in nuclear power plants to determine the optimal amount and type of moderating material to use in order to control the rate of the nuclear reaction and generate electricity safely.

4. What factors affect "neutron moderation calculations"?

The main factors that affect neutron moderation calculations include the type and concentration of the moderating material, the temperature and pressure within the reactor, and the type and energy of the neutrons being moderated.

5. What is the importance of accurate "neutron moderation calculations"?

Accurate neutron moderation calculations are crucial in ensuring the safety and efficiency of nuclear reactors. They help to prevent accidents and optimize the production of energy, making nuclear power a reliable and sustainable source of electricity.