Equation of a tangent Plane

In summary, to find the equation for the tangent plane at the point (3, -1, 1) for the surface g(x,y,z) = 9, we can take the gradient of g(x,y,z) and substitute the point into the normal vector to get the equation A(x-3) + B(y+1) + C(z-1) = 0. To find the line tangent to the intersection of surfaces f(x,y,z) = 0 and g(x,y,z) = 9, we can take the cross product of the gradients of both surfaces and substitute the point into the resulting vector to get the direction of the line, which can then be used to form the parametric equations for the line
ryan8888
Given: let f (x,y,z) = x2 + y2 + z2 = 2y - 3x and g(x,y,z) = 3x + y2 - z2

A. Find an equation for the tangent plane for the surface g(x,y,z) = 9 at the point (3, -1, 1)
B. Find the line tangent to the intersection of the surfaces f(x,y,z) = 0 and g(x,y,z) =9 at the point (3,-1,1)

A. I feel like I am reading into this part too much. In part A do I need to simply utilize g(x,y,z) and take the gradient of the g(x,y,z) and then subsitute the point (3,-1,1) into the gradient function and then finally use the information found from this in the form a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) + c(z-z0) = 0 to get the equation of the tangent plane.

Or do I need to utilize both f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z). O would take the gradient of both functions and compute the cross product to get the normal vector, then substitute the point (3,-1,1) into the normal vector and input that information into the form: a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) + c(z-z0) = 0 to solve for the equation of the tangent plane.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Yes if a surface is given by g(x,y,z)= constant, then [itex]\nabla f= grad f[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface and so a normal to the tangent plane.
Of course, a plane containing point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] having normal vector <A, B, C> has equation [itex]A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex]. This problem has nothing to do with the function f.

b) A line tangent to the curve of intersection of two surfaces must lie in the tangent planes of both surfaces- and therefore is perpendicular to the normal to both surfaces at that point. Find the cross product of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] and [itex]\nabla g[/itex], a vector in the direction of that line. Of course, the line through point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] in the direction of the vector <A, B, C> is given by the parametric equations [itex]x= At+ x_0[/itex], [itex]y= Bt+ y_0[/itex], [itex]z= Ct+ z_0[/itex].

Awsome. Thanks for the help. I figured that the first portion of the question the f(x,y,z) had nothing do do with determing the equation of the plane. I came up with 3x - 2y - 2z = 9 for the equation of the plane that is tangent to g(x,y,z).

I do have another question for part 2. I have taken the gradients of both f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z) and come up with grad f = (2x-3, 2y + 2, 2z) and grad y = (3, 2y, -2z) should I substitute my point (3, -1, 1) into the gradients and then take the cross product or should I do the cross product and then sub the values for my point in?

HallsofIvy said:
a) Yes if a surface is given by g(x,y,z)= constant, then [itex]\nabla f= grad f[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface and so a normal to the tangent plane.
Of course, a plane containing point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] having normal vector <A, B, C> has equation [itex]A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex]. This problem has nothing to do with the function f.

b) A line tangent to the curve of intersection of two surfaces must lie in the tangent planes of both surfaces- and therefore is perpendicular to the normal to both surfaces at that point. Find the cross product of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] and [itex]\nabla g[/itex], a vector in the direction of that line. Of course, the line through point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] in the direction of the vector <A, B, C> is given by the parametric equations [itex]x= At+ x_0[/itex], [itex]y= Bt+ y_0[/itex], [itex]z= Ct+ z_0[/itex].

What is the equation of a tangent plane?

The equation of a tangent plane is a mathematical representation of a plane that touches a curved surface at a specific point. It is used to approximate the behavior of the surface at that point.

How is the equation of a tangent plane calculated?

The equation of a tangent plane can be calculated using the gradient vector of the surface at the specific point. This vector is perpendicular to the tangent plane and can be used to determine the coefficients of the equation.

Why is the equation of a tangent plane important?

The equation of a tangent plane is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point. It is also used in calculus to find the derivative of a function at a given point.

Can the equation of a tangent plane be used for any curved surface?

Yes, the equation of a tangent plane can be used for any curved surface, as long as the surface is differentiable at the specific point. This means that the surface must have a well-defined tangent plane at that point.

What information does the equation of a tangent plane provide?

The equation of a tangent plane provides information about the slope and direction of the surface at a specific point. It also helps us approximate the behavior of the surface in a small neighborhood around that point.