Quantum mechanics in DIRAC notation

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential and the operators associated with it. The conversation also includes a request for help in understanding how to construct a matrix representation for these operators. Various responses and explanations are given, including hints for solving the problem.
JamesJames
Consider a particle in a harmonic pscillator potential V (x) is given by
[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2[/tex]

Also [tex]\hat a = n^\frac{1}{2}|n-1>[/tex], and

[tex]\hat a\dagger = (n-1)^\frac{1}{2}|n-1>[/tex]

where

[tex]
\hat a = \frac{\beta}{\sqrt 2}(\hat x + \frac{i\hat p}{m\omega})
[/tex]

[tex]
\hat a\dagger = \frac{\beta}{\sqrt 2}(\hat x - \frac{i\hat p}{m\omega})
[/tex]

Construct a matrix representation for
[tex]\hat a[/tex]
[tex]\hat a\dagger[/tex]
[tex]\hat N = \hat a\hat \dagger[/tex]
and
[tex]\hat H[/tex]

where[tex]\hat H[/tex] is the Hamiltonian.

If someone can show me one and explain it to me, I will try the rest by myself before asking questions about them.

I am really desparate :confused:

Please help
James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please someone...any help...just show me how to do one and I will try my best for the rest...please

James

This is the quantum harmonic oscillator where [tex]\hat a\dagger[/tex] and [tex]\hat a[/tex] are the step down and step up (SOMETIMES CALLED LADDER) operators according to your definitions.

Correction: I think you meant to say [tex]\hat N[/tex] = [tex]\hat a\dagger \hat a[/tex]

Last edited:
Anybody...please...something.

james

The matrix reprentation is just a matrix of a bunch of matrix elements (make sure you understand matrix elements before you do this problem

but this matrix representation should be in a particular basis. By the way you also wrote the ladder operators incorrectly. You have an operator on the lhs and a ket vector on the right hand side, and the rasing and lowering are both minus. They should be:

[tex]\hat{a}^{\dagger} = \sqrt{n+1}|n+1>[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a} = \sqrt{n}|n-1>[/tex]

But now that you have these relations you just need to find:

[tex]<i|a|j>[/tex]

This is in the n basis. This is a matrix element. It gives a particluar element in a matrix. As you can see i,j can go from negnative infinity to infinity, and they label your rows and columns of your matrix. But elements like [tex]<n|n+j>[/tex] ( for any j nonzero) are orthogonal so they go to zero. So you only expect states off by one to be connected. Your matrices for the a and a dagger will have one off diagonal. These are the states where the operator connects the next higher or lower state.

the other matrix elements proceed in a similar manner but with a different basis. Try it and let me know if you have any questions.

So would the one for a look like this?

0 1 1 1 ...1
1 0 1 1 ...1
1 1 1 1 ...0

I am still confused. Could you write down one explicitly so I can get a mental image as to what I am looking for?

Thanks,
James

I really need this urgently...sorry to be pushy

JamesJames said:
I really need this urgently...sorry to be pushy

There appears to be a more fundamental problem here beyond just this specific problem.

If you are given an operator A, and a set of basis functions |i>, do you know how to find the matrix A^? (A with a hat, since I'm too lazy to do LaTex formatting.)

Zz.

How can an operator be equal to a state??

it's not a=k[n> or whatever. It's a[n>=k[n-1>, where k is the constant you wrote. Operators are not states. I think what you are trying to ask is how do we obtain algebraicaly the energy eigenkets and eigenvalues for a particle in a harmonic potencial. What you do is the following:

You defined the N operator as N=a'a, where the useing the notation d' is the adjoint of d. Then you observe that H=N + 1/2 therefore diagonalizing N is the same as diagonalizing H i.e., solving the problem. From this, clearly the states [n> are energy eigenkets with eigenvalues n +1/2.

Hope that helped!

tavi_boada said:
How can an operator be equal to a state??

it's not a=k[n> or whatever. It's a[n>=k[n-1>, where k is the constant you wrote. Operators are not states.

Good point.Probably a lack of notation,or,worse,a confusion mixed with ignorance.

tavi_boada said:
I think what you are trying to ask is how do we obtain algebraicaly the energy eigenkets and eigenvalues for a particle in a harmonic potencial. What you do is the following:

You defined the N operator as N=a'a, where the useing the notation d' is the adjoint of d. Then you observe that H=N + 1/2 therefore diagonalizing N is the same as diagonalizing H i.e., solving the problem. From this, clearly the states [n> are energy eigenkets with eigenvalues n +1/2.

Hope that helped!

I think the original question was pretty clear.There's no need to elaborate and mislead people.He was basically interested of solving the QM simple 1D harmonic oscillator in the original matrix version of QM (Born,Heisenberg,Jordan-1925),knowing it in the more abstract and elegant version of Dirac-Von Neumann (1926-1935).

Hints for solving the problem (original one,not one invented):
1.Write equations correctly.E.g.
[tex]\hat{a}|n>= \sqrt{n}|n-1>[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}|n>= \sqrt{n+1}|n+1>[/tex]
2.Use the fact that the standard basis is orthormal:
[tex] <i|j> =\delta_{ij} [/tex]
3.Apply all bra's corresponding to all kets in the standard basis on the 2 relations written above and generate operators' matrices.
4.Use the matrices for the creation+annihilation operators deduced at 3. together with the expressions for the Hamilton and number operators to find the latters' matrices.

Good luck!

1. What is DIRAC notation in quantum mechanics?

DIRAC notation is a mathematical notation system developed by physicist Paul Dirac to represent the state of a quantum system. It uses a combination of symbols and mathematical operations, such as bra-ket notation, to describe the properties and behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How is DIRAC notation useful in quantum mechanics?

DIRAC notation allows for a concise and elegant representation of quantum states, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It also allows for the use of linear algebra techniques to solve complex problems in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the difference between bra-ket notation and traditional mathematical notation?

Bra-ket notation, also known as DIRAC notation, uses symbols such as | and < to represent quantum states and operations, while traditional mathematical notation uses letters and symbols such as + and =. Bra-ket notation is specifically designed for use in quantum mechanics and is more intuitive for representing quantum states and operations.

4. How does DIRAC notation handle complex numbers in quantum mechanics?

DIRAC notation uses symbols such as i and ^ to represent complex numbers in quantum mechanics. These symbols allow for the use of complex numbers in quantum calculations, which are necessary for accurately describing the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

5. Can DIRAC notation be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, DIRAC notation can be applied to all quantum systems, including systems with multiple particles and systems with spin. It is a versatile notation system that can be used to represent and analyze a wide range of quantum phenomena.