Finding Inverse Hyperbolic secant in terms of logarithms ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of computing the inverse of sech(x) with two possible solutions and how to prove that csch(x) is a one-to-one function without using a graph. The first question is solved by checking the solutions directly from the definition of inverse function and choosing the positive sign. The second question is proved by using the definition of one-to-one function and csch(x).
mahmoud2011
The Problem is when I Compute the Inverse I have to solutions

[itex]sech^{-1}(x) = ln(\frac{1\pm \sqrt{1-x^{2}}}{x}) : 0<x\leq 1 [/itex]

And this not function which of them I will choose

Another Question is how can I prove without the graph that csch (x) is one - to -one

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the second question I proved it depending on the definition of one to one function and csch(x) ,where since sinh(x) is one to one ,the whenever sinh(c)=sinh(d) , c=d
Then it follows that whenever 1/sinh(c) = 1/sinh(d) , c=d
And thus the result follows and that's what I did .

For the first question , I tried to check my solution I tried to check the solution directly from the definition of inverse function,

Let [itex] h(x) = ln(\frac{1-\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x}) : 0<x\leq 1 [/itex]

[itex] g(x)=ln (\frac{1+ \sqrt{1-x^2}}{x}) : 0<x\leq 1 [/itex]

[itex]f(x) = sech(x) : x\geq 0 [/itex]

then we have after some Algebra ,
[itex](f o h)(x) = x : 0<x\leq 1[/itex]
Whereas [itex](h o f)(x) = -x : x\leq0[/itex]
And Thus h is not the inverse of f , Checking g we will see that it do its job it is the inverse where

[itex](f o g)(x) = x : 0<x\leq 1[/itex]
Whereas [itex](g o f)(x) = x : x\leq0[/itex]

Exactly what does the question say? The reason you are getting "[itex]\pm[/itex]" is because sech is NOT a one-to-one function and so does NOT HAVE an inverse over all real numbers. You can, of course, restrict the domain so that it does have an inverse. How the domain is restricted will determine the sign.

I have restricted the domain such that x is greater than or equal zero and I also had Both signs So I Checked the solutions from definition of Inverse function And Choosed the positive sign As I have written above.

1. What is the formula for finding the inverse hyperbolic secant in terms of logarithms?

The formula for finding the inverse hyperbolic secant in terms of logarithms is:
arcsinh(x) = ln(x + sqrt(x^2 + 1))

2. What is the difference between inverse hyperbolic secant and regular hyperbolic secant?

The inverse hyperbolic secant is the inverse function of the hyperbolic secant, meaning that it undoes the action of the hyperbolic secant. While the regular hyperbolic secant calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, the inverse hyperbolic secant calculates the angle that would produce that ratio.

3. How do I find the inverse hyperbolic secant using logarithms?

To find the inverse hyperbolic secant using logarithms, you can use the formula:
arcsinh(x) = ln(x + sqrt(x^2 + 1)). Plug in the value for x and solve the equation to find the inverse hyperbolic secant.

4. Can the inverse hyperbolic secant be expressed as a single logarithm?

Yes, the inverse hyperbolic secant can be expressed as a single logarithm using the formula:
arcsinh(x) = ln(x + sqrt(x^2 + 1)) = ln(x) + ln(sqrt(x^2 + 1)).

5. What is the domain and range of the inverse hyperbolic secant?

The domain of the inverse hyperbolic secant is all real numbers greater than or equal to 1. The range is all real numbers between 0 and infinity.