Why does the stick in a moving frame shrink vertically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial frames and the phenomenon of tidal forces. The speaker is having difficulty understanding how tidal forces originate and how they relate to the theory of relativity. They also mention a second concept involving the shrinking of a stick in a moving frame and seek clarification on this topic.
heman
dear friends,
i have one problem regarding the inertial frames.it is said that freely falling elevator satisfies the above property.if there are two particles inside the elevator the distance betn. them will remain same as long as the distance is small.but when the distance betn. the paricles is large there will be tidal force from which we can detect the external gravitational fields.

so my query is regarding the origin of tidal forces and this concept is not getting down my throat.please help me understand this concept i will be highly thankful to you.

Physics news on Phys.org
based on relativity

dear friends ,

this is the second concept in which i found difficulty to understand.let's consider an lab and rocket frame in which the x-axis of both the frames coincide in the beiginning and rocket will be moving wrt x axis.now the problem is if they both contain one stick and rocket's stick is below the lab stick then we will have to conclude that the moving stick will shrink in the vertical direction.thus i want to know why this will shrink in the vertical direction.and this consistency can be removed when tip of both the sticks will coincide and the sticks are arranged in vertical direction in both the frames.

please explain the concept involved.

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is an inertial frame different from a non-inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law of motion holds true, while a non-inertial frame is a reference frame in which this law does not hold. In a non-inertial frame, objects may appear to experience fictitious forces due to the frame's acceleration or rotation.

3. What is the significance of an inertial frame in physics?

Inertial frames are important in physics because they provide a consistent and reliable reference point for measuring and understanding motion. They allow us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects without the influence of external forces.

4. How do you determine if a frame is inertial?

To determine if a frame is inertial, one can use the concept of the equivalence principle. If an observer within the frame cannot detect any acceleration or rotation, then the frame is considered inertial. Alternatively, one can also use the laws of motion to analyze the behavior of objects within the frame.

5. Can there be multiple inertial frames in a given scenario?

Yes, there can be multiple inertial frames in a given scenario. In fact, any frame that is moving at a constant velocity relative to another inertial frame is also considered inertial. This is known as the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames.