Gravity Change by Canister Pressure: Gas in Balloon

In summary, the change in gravity generated by forcing all the gas into the canister under pressure would be negligible, but the buoyancy of the gas would change due to the reduction in volume. It is unlikely that an accelerometer placed above the balloon would be able to detect this change. To create a measurable change in gravity, the mass of an object would need to be altered, but it would be difficult to do so without touching the object. Using a spring balance to measure the force between two masses is another way to measure gravity, but it requires very sensitive instruments and can be affected by external factors. Tracking planetary motions is a more practical way for a dedicated hobbyist to indirectly measure gravity.
ANarwhal
If I had a balloon full of gas, and inside that balloon a solid canister that had a much smaller volume than the balloon but could hold all the gas inside the balloon under pressure, would there be a (detectable or theoretical) change in the gravity generated by forcing all the gas into the canister under pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, due to the potential energy created, but it would be negligable. However, it would change the bouyancy of the gas, due to the reduction in volume, so the net force on the gas would change.

Would I be able to detect this change with an accelerometer placed immediately above the balloon?

ANarwhal said:
Would I be able to detect this change with an accelerometer placed immediately above the balloon?

What is it that the accelerometer would be measuring?

The acceleration towards a point, in this case it would be both the Earth and the compressed gas (due to its heightened gravitational pull (I'm not for a second saying it would be a big gravitational pull, I'm just interested in measuring it))

ANarwhal said:
The acceleration towards a point, in this case it would be both the Earth and the compressed gas (due to its heightened gravitational pull (I'm not for a second saying it would be a big gravitational pull, I'm just interested in measuring it))

If I correctly understand what your saying, then no I don't see how there would be any difference UNLESS the accelerometer moved closer to the center of mass of the gas, since that would cause a tiny increase in the gravity measured by the accelerometer (the amount would not be measurable with anything like today's technology but it would exist)

Is there any way I can create a change in gravity that I could monitor with DIY lab equipment?

ANarwhal said:
Is there any way I can create a change in gravity that I could monitor with DIY lab equipment?

I don't have any answer for that but I'll bet some of the more clever folks here will.

ANarwhal said:

You have to define what you mean by "change in gravity". If you mean change in the gravitational force felt by some object, then...yes...it's very easy, you just change the mass of that object (cut off a piece of it), the gravitational force will reduce. Take a piece of putty and weigh it, and then cut off a piece and weigh it again, the lower reading shows a reduction in the gravitational force...

But I suspect this is not what you mean.

Matterwave said:
But I suspect this is not what you mean.

Right ... I was going to suggest that he eat a Big Mac and then reweigh himself, but I came to the same conclusion that you did so bit my tongue.:smile:

I want to detect a change without touching the object (for example, an accelerometer dangling above an object)

I don't think you'll be able to do that w/ DIY equipment because the change will be very subtle almost whatEVER you do, relative to the gravity of the earth, which you can't remove from the experiment.

For example, I believe that the discovery and mapping of mascons in the Earth required very sensitive instruments and you are NOT going to come close to producing a mascon.

The theory is simple. You hang a mass from a spring and bring another mass up close below it. The spring will stretch slightly and you use Hooke's law to measure the force. Then you try again with a smaller mass and you'll see a smaller stretch.

The problem is how weak gravity is. Two 1000kg masses with their centers separated by 1m (think about the size of a 1000kg mass) produce around a 0.07mN force. Any spring balance sensitive enough to detect this will snap when you attach a 1000kg mass. If you try a smaller mass then the force goes down (so harder to measure) and (in a double whammy) the system becomes extremely sensitive to thermal noise - draughts, Brownian motion, cars passing in the street, earthquakes thousands of miles away, etc, etc.

Measuring g between two known masses is the way we calculate G. The pros take years to make a measurement, and they frequently disagree. You could be decades at this and get nothing but noise - sorry.

Easier: track planetary motions and confirm that the orbits match predictions from theory. More maths and more indirect, but practicable for the dedicated hobbyist, I would think, given that Kepler and Newton have already done the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

1. How does the pressure of gas in a balloon affect its gravity?

The pressure of gas in a balloon has a direct effect on its gravity. As the pressure increases, the weight of the gas inside the balloon also increases, causing the balloon to become heavier and experience a stronger pull towards the Earth's center of mass.

2. What is the relationship between the canister pressure and the gravity of the balloon?

The relationship between the canister pressure and the gravity of the balloon is directly proportional. This means that as the canister pressure increases, the gravity of the balloon also increases. Conversely, if the canister pressure decreases, the gravity of the balloon will also decrease.

3. Does the type of gas in the balloon affect its gravity?

Yes, the type of gas in the balloon can affect its gravity. Different gases have different densities, which can impact the weight of the balloon and therefore its gravity. For example, a balloon filled with helium will have a lower weight and gravity compared to a balloon filled with air.

4. How does the temperature of the gas in the balloon affect its gravity?

The temperature of the gas in the balloon can also affect its gravity. When the gas inside the balloon is heated, it will expand and become less dense, causing the balloon to become lighter and experience a weaker gravitational pull. On the other hand, cooling the gas inside the balloon will cause it to contract and become more dense, increasing the weight and gravity of the balloon.

5. Is there a maximum limit to how much the canister pressure can affect the gravity of the balloon?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the canister pressure can affect the gravity of the balloon. This limit is determined by the strength of the balloon material and the maximum pressure it can withstand before bursting. Exceeding this limit can cause the balloon to burst and release the gas, resulting in a decrease in gravity.