Latex - how to do Dirac slash notation

In summary, to do Dirac slash notation using LaTeX, you can use the package \usepackage{slashed} and type \slashed{symbol} to create a slash through the symbol. For example, \slashed{p} will result in /p with the symbol "p" slashed through it.
jasonc65
Latex -- how to do Dirac slash notation

How do you do Dirac slash notation using LaTeX?

For instance, I want to be able to type

[tex] /\partial = \gamma_i \partial^i [/tex]

[tex] /p = \gamma_i p^i [/tex]

[tex] /A = \gamma _i A^i [/tex]

with the slashes running through the symbols [tex] \partial [/tex], p, and A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a crude make-shift attempt for whatever it's worth. I just did this by goofing around. :biggrin:

I have no idea how to do it formally, of if there even is a formal way to do it.

[tex] \displaystyle{\not} \partial = \gamma_i \partial^i [/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle{\not} p = \gamma_i p^i [/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle{\not}A = \gamma _i A^i [/tex]

add package \usepackage{slashed} in the preamble ,
wirte \slashed p is ok

What is Dirac slash notation and why is it important in physics?

Dirac slash notation is a mathematical notation used in theoretical physics to represent spinor fields. It was developed by British physicist Paul Dirac and is based on the Dirac matrix algebra. It is important in physics because it allows for the concise representation of complicated equations involving spinors and is essential in the study of quantum field theory and particle physics.

How do I type Dirac slash notation in LaTeX?

To type Dirac slash notation in LaTeX, you can use the \slash command followed by the variable or expression you want to slash. For example, \slash A will produce a slashed A. You can also use the \slashed command, which allows for more customization options, such as specifying the direction and size of the slash.

Can I use Dirac slash notation in both inline and display equations?

Yes, you can use Dirac slash notation in both inline and display equations. In inline equations, the slashes will be smaller and appear above and below the variable or expression, while in display equations, the slashes will be larger and appear on the left and right sides of the variable or expression.

Are there any packages or templates available for easier use of Dirac slash notation in LaTeX?

Yes, there are several packages and templates available for easier use of Dirac slash notation in LaTeX. Some popular options include the physics package, which provides a simplified command for typing slash notation, and the feynmf package, which allows for the drawing of Feynman diagrams with slashed variables.

Is there a way to customize the appearance of the slashes in Dirac slash notation?

Yes, there are various ways to customize the appearance of the slashes in Dirac slash notation. For example, you can change the direction, size, and color of the slashes by using the \slashed command and specifying the desired parameters. You can also use the cancel package to create diagonal slashes or the slashed package for more advanced customization options.