Analytic continuation of the zeta function

In summary: because there is a discontinuity at s = 1. at s = 1, the function becomes infinite. that's why the integral diverges.
galoisjr
I was reading through the first chapter of Edwards' book on the zeta function, and I'm a little confused about Riemann's original continuation of zeta to all of the complex plane... The zeta function is supposed to be defined for all s in the set of complex numbers by

[tex]\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)}}{{2\pi i}}\oint\limits_\gamma {\frac{{{{\left( { - u} \right)}^s}}}{{{e^u} - 1}}} \cdot \frac{{du}}{u}[/tex]

where

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\gamma = {L^ + } \cup {C_\delta } \cup {L^ - } \cup {C_R}\\
{L^ + } = \left\{ {u = x + i\delta |R \ge x \ge \delta } \right\}\\
{C_\delta } = \left\{ {u = \delta {e^{i\vartheta }}|0 \le \vartheta < 2\pi } \right\}\\
{L^ - } = \left\{ {u = x - i\delta |\delta \le x \le R} \right\}\\
{C_R} = \left\{ {u = R{e^{i\varphi }}|2\pi > \varphi \ge 0} \right\}
\end{array}[/tex]

Its easy enough to show that the integrands along both circles are constant and therefore the second and fourth integrals approach zero. Then, as

[tex]\delta \to 0 \wedge R \to \infty [/tex]

we have

[tex]\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)}}{{2\pi i}}\int\limits_{ + \infty }^{ + \infty } {\frac{{{{\left( { - x} \right)}^s}}}{{{e^x} - 1}}} \cdot \frac{{dx}}{x}[/tex]

and since the two lines are on either side of the branch cut,

[tex]\zeta \left( s \right) = \Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\frac{{\left( {{e^{i\pi s}} - {e^{ - i\pi s}}} \right)}}{{2i\pi }}\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^{s - 1}}}}{{{e^x} - 1}}dx} [/tex]

[tex]\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^{s - 1}}}}{{{e^x} - 1}}dx} [/tex]

Next,

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^{s - 1}}}}{{{e^x} - 1}}dx} \\
\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^{s - 1}}}}{{{e^x}}} \cdot \frac{1}{{1 - {e^{ - x}}}}dx} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

in which the geometric series converges to the integrand on the interval and also converges to zero absolutely, therefore it is sufficient to use it to carry out the integration and also to interchange the integral and summation signs.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^{s - 1}}}}{{{e^x}}}\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {{e^{ - kx}}} dx} ,\left| {{e^{ - x}}} \right| < 1 \Rightarrow x > 0\\
\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\int\limits_0^\infty {{x^{s - 1}}\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {{e^{ - \left( {k + 1} \right)x}}} dx} \\
\zeta \left( s \right) = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{{\left( {k + 1} \right)}^{s - 1}}}}} \int\limits_0^\infty {{{\left[ {\left( {k + 1} \right)x} \right]}^{s - 1}}{e^{ - \left[ {(k + 1)x} \right]}}dx} \end{array}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\zeta \left( s \right) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\frac{1}{{{{\left( {k + 1} \right)}^{s - 1}}}}} \cdot \frac{{\Gamma (s)}}{{k + 1}}\\
\zeta \left( s \right) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\Gamma \left( {1 - s} \right)\Gamma (s)\frac{1}{{{{\left( {k + 1} \right)}^s}}}} \\
\zeta \left( s \right) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi s} \right)}}{\pi }\pi \csc \left( {\pi s} \right)\frac{1}{{{{\left( {k + 1} \right)}^s}}}} \\
\zeta \left( s \right) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{{\left( {k + 1} \right)}^s}}}} = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{n^s}}}}
\end{array}[/tex]

Riemann's continuation of zeta is supposed to converge to the Dirichlet series for only Re>1. What I don't understand is that I placed no restraint on s, but from the math it would seem that it converges to the Dirichlet series for all s on which the function was defined which would imply that it is not an analytic continuation to the entire complex plane.

Obviously, I either missed something or I am not understanding something. I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me out?

nevermind i figured it out. the integral about the circle of radius delta doesn't approach zero for all of s

1. What is analytic continuation?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique used to extend the domain of definition of a given function to a larger region. This allows the function to be evaluated or studied in a larger range of values beyond its original domain.

2. What is the zeta function?

The zeta function, denoted as ζ, is a mathematical function that is defined for all complex numbers except 1. It is defined by the infinite series ζ(s) = 1 + 1/2^s + 1/3^s + 1/4^s + ..., where s is a complex variable.

3. Why is analytic continuation important for the zeta function?

The zeta function only has a clear definition for certain values of s, but it has many important applications in mathematics, such as in number theory and physics. Analytic continuation allows us to extend the definition of the zeta function to a larger region, making it easier to study and analyze its properties.

4. How is the analytic continuation of the zeta function calculated?

The analytic continuation of the zeta function is calculated using a process called the Riemann functional equation. This equation relates the values of ζ(s) and ζ(1-s), allowing us to extend the domain of the zeta function to the entire complex plane.

5. What are the implications of the analytic continuation of the zeta function?

The analytic continuation of the zeta function has many implications in mathematics, including the ability to evaluate the zeta function at any complex value, the connection to the distribution of prime numbers, and its applications in various fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps to better understand the behavior and properties of the zeta function and its relationship to other mathematical functions.