Advantages of Electron Scattering over Alpha-Particle Scattering?

In summary, the difference between electron and alpha scattering is that alpha particles will not be affected by coulomb force, meaning they will deflect at a solid angle. High energy electrons will penetrate the nucleus because they gain magnetic momentum and the experiment takes recoil into account. This means you will get a more precise measurement of the radius of the nuclei.
Ryomega
Hi Guys,

I'm doing a practice exam paper and I stumbled upon a question I can't answer for 5 marks.

Describe the advantages of electron scattering over alpha particle scattering. Sketch a graph of charge density vs distance from centre of nucleus. From the graph, explain why protons are more influenced by strong force than coulomb force.

I've been looking around the net and can't seem to find a direct comparison between electron and alpha scattering. I understand that high energy electrons can penetrate the nucleus, I understand that alpa scattering gives closest approach... but where's the real advantage?

Can't seem to find charge density vs distance either

I understand that strong force works at 1fm, disappears at 2.5fm. What range was protons at again? Can't seem to find it.

Help me out please! Exam in few days!

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. The first question is what are they using the scattering for? To probe the nucleus? In this case, I guess that 'charge density vs distance from centre of nucleus' is talking about the density of the nucleons inside the nucleus.

Have you taken lecture notes about this kind of thing? Looks like a difficult question. Both electrons and alpha particles have been used to probe the nucleus, so obviously there are advantages to both. Maybe just start with writing down the differences, and then make some reasonable arguments for advantages.

Or maybe the question is talking about probing the atom? This is more likely, since it is the easier / more basic physics. What have you got in your lecture notes?

Yeah if I actually turned up to half my lectures I wouldn't be here unfortunately...

Yes, sorry I meant for probing the nucleus. The differences that I can so far comprehend is that alpha particles will not over come coulomb forces, so it will deflect at a solid angle. Where as high energy electrons will penetrate the nucleus because it gains magnetic momentum and the experiment takes recoil into account. That means you will get a more precise measurement of the radius of the nuclei...but is that all I need for 5 marks? (and the graph)

I found out that nucleons are usually around 1.3fm. And the strong force is good from 0.5 to 2.5fm so that's why protons are influenced by strong and not EM.

Still can't find the graph though

I'm going to lay down my thoughts to your response.

Differences: Electron vs Alpha

Size and mass: Small - Big
Charge: Negative - Positive
Energy obtainable: Higher energies - lower energy
Frequency: Higher frequencies - lower frequencies
Wavelength: shorter - longer

These factors make the electrons more penetrable without "bumping into objects".
From rutherford experiments, the nucleus has a positive charge provided by protons.
Shooting a high energy electrons at nucleus will have an "attracting" effect?
Provided electrons do not "bump" into nucleons. The electrons will be repelled by strong force at 0.5fm?
This gives an accurate measurement of the size of nucleus?

Guessing charge density is 1/r^2 relationship?

Please comment and correct

I would say that the big advantage of electron beams is that they can be easily produced and the energy can be easily varied by changing accelerator voltage.
With alpha particles you are limited to the energies available from radioactive sources.
I have not heard about alpha particles being accelerated but I know that beams of protons are sometimes used because they can be produced and accelerated...just like electrons.

AHA! You just gave me the last puzzle piece!

The advantages would be the following (I think):

1) Electrons will only interact by electromagnetic force (Not strong nuclear like alpha will)

2) High energy electrons will have a very short wave length so the nucleus will be "resolved"

3) Electrons can be energy filtered (thanks for the clue) unlike alpha so only elastically scattered electrons can be detected.

Now all I need is that graph...

Found the graph:

4703501.jpg

Thanks for the help.

What is the difference between electron scattering and alpha-particle scattering?

Electron scattering involves the deflection of electrons due to the interactions with a target material, while alpha-particle scattering involves the deflection of alpha particles (helium nuclei) when they pass through a material.

Why is electron scattering preferred over alpha-particle scattering?

Electron scattering is preferred over alpha-particle scattering because electrons have a smaller mass and charge compared to alpha particles, making them easier to manipulate and control in experiments.

What advantages does electron scattering have over alpha-particle scattering?

Electron scattering has several advantages over alpha-particle scattering, including higher energy resolution, the ability to study smaller structures, and the potential for non-destructive measurements.

Can electron scattering be used to study different types of materials?

Yes, electron scattering can be used to study a wide range of materials, including metals, semiconductors, and biological samples.

Are there any limitations to using electron scattering?

One limitation of electron scattering is that it can only be used for relatively thin samples, as the electrons lose energy as they pass through a material. Additionally, special precautions must be taken to prevent damage to the sample due to the high energy of the electrons.