Can an Integrated Factor be Found in Terms of Both Variables?

• Thread starter MMars91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary: I didn't realize I could use the substitution method for this type of equation. So in summary, a function is said to be homogeneous of order n if it satisfies the condition M(λx,λy)=λ^nM(x,y). By using the substitution method, the differential equation (t^2-y^2)+(t^2-2ty)(dy/dt)=0 can be converted to a separable DE, allowing for easier solution.
MMars91

Homework Statement

I have been dealing with Exact Equations in my DE class, and I came around this problem.

(t^2-y^2)+(t^2-2ty)(dy/dt)=0

This is obviously not an exact eqn. So I tried using integrated factors on it and try to find this "factor" μ.
But no matter if I did it in terms of t or in terms of y, I couldn't separate it in terms of one variable.

dμ/dt=(-2t)/(t^2-2ty)

or

dμ/dy=(2t)/(t^2-y^2)

Homework Equations

Is there any way that you can find an integrated factor which it is in terms of both variables?
instead of t or y alone, both?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything, and this topic is not even covered in class or in the book. I learned this on my own and I have only learn Integrated factors in terms of y or in terms of t, not both.

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
MMars91 said:

Homework Statement

I have been dealing with Exact Equations in my DE class, and I came around this problem.

(t^2-y^2)+(t^2-2ty)(dy/dt)=0

This is obviously not an exact eqn. So I tried using integrated factors on it and try to find this "factor" μ.
But no matter if I did it in terms of t or in terms of y, I couldn't separate it in terms of one variable.

dμ/dt=(-2t)/(t^2-2ty)

or

dμ/dy=(2t)/(t^2-y^2)

Homework Equations

Is there any way that you can find an integrated factor which it is in terms of both variables?
instead of t or y alone, both?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything, and this topic is not even covered in class or in the book. I learned this on my own and I have only learn Integrated factors in terms of y or in terms of t, not both.

Help please.

A function ##M(x,y)## is said to be homogeneous of order n if ##M(\lambda x,\lambda y)= \lambda^nM(x,y)##. If ##M(x,y)## and ##N(x,y)## are both homogeneous of degree n, then the differential equation ##M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0## can be converted to a separable DE with the substitution ##y=ux##.

That applies to your question. Look at http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/First-Order-Homogeneous-Equations.topicArticleId-19736,articleId-19713.html for a discussion of this type of equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that just lighted a bulb in my head.

1. What is the definition of Integrated Factors (DE)?

Integrated Factors (DE) refers to a scientific approach that takes into account multiple factors or variables in a system or process, rather than focusing on one factor in isolation. This approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system and its interactions.

2. How is Integrated Factors (DE) used in scientific research?

Integrated Factors (DE) is used in scientific research to analyze complex systems and processes, such as ecosystems, human behavior, and disease. It involves identifying and measuring various factors that may influence the system, and then analyzing how they interact and affect each other.

3. What are some examples of Integrated Factors (DE) in action?

One example of Integrated Factors (DE) in action is studying the impact of climate change on an ecosystem. This may involve measuring factors such as temperature, precipitation, and species diversity to understand how they interact to affect the ecosystem. Another example is studying the relationship between genetics and environmental factors in the development of a disease.

4. How does Integrated Factors (DE) differ from traditional scientific approaches?

Traditional scientific approaches often focus on isolating and studying one factor at a time, whereas Integrated Factors (DE) takes into account multiple factors and their interactions. This allows for a more holistic understanding of a system and can lead to more accurate predictions and solutions.

5. What are the benefits of using Integrated Factors (DE) in research and problem-solving?

Using Integrated Factors (DE) in research and problem-solving allows for a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of complex systems and processes. This can lead to more effective solutions and interventions, as well as a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms at play.