Relations Involving the Directional Cosines

• Thread starter Septim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the author derives a equation that relates cosines with directional cosines. This equation is not equations numbered, but it seems to be derived from the expression of the dot product in abstract form.
Septim
Greetings,

I wonder if a proof of the relation between the directional cosines of two vectors and cosine between two vectors is available? In order to clarify what I meant I put a screen shot from Vector and Tensor Analysis by Hay.

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Verify in the easy case where one of your vectors is (a,0,0) for some a>0. Since every other case can be gotten from the easy one by a rotation (which preserves the angle between the vectors), and since orthogonal matrices preserve the expression involving the direction cosines (use the fact that their rows are unit-length vectors), you're done.

Greetings Septim! :smile:

if you've done dot-products, then:

a.b = (a1i + a2j + a3k).(b1i + b2j + b3k) = … ? :wink:

Thanks for the replies. Tinyboss I will try the method you suggested but I am a bit unfamiliar with matrices. Tiny-tim the author derives uses the expression you see on the attachment to convert the abstract form of the dot product into the component form. My question is that how can he relate cosines with directional cosines. I am still open for other suggestions.

Hi Septim! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Septim said:
… the author derives uses the expression you see on the attachment to convert the abstract form of the dot product into the component form. My question is that how can he relate cosines with directional cosines.

I'm not following you. :redface:

Which equations are you referring to? :confused:

After the expression of the dot product in abstract form, that is Eq.(7.1); the author expresses the cosine between the two vectors in terms of the direction cosines of the individual vectors. This equation is indented; however it does not have an equation number. I actually wonder how that equation can be derived. Forgive me for the late reply by the way.

What are directional cosines?

Directional cosines are values used to describe the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space. They are calculated from the angles between the vector and the three axes (x, y, and z) of the coordinate system.

How are directional cosines represented?

Directional cosines are usually represented using the Greek letter lambda (λ). There are three directional cosines, λx, λy, and λz, which correspond to the x, y, and z axes, respectively.

What is the relationship between directional cosines and unit vectors?

The directional cosines of a vector can be used to calculate the corresponding unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1 and points in the same direction as the original vector. The unit vector is calculated by dividing the vector's components by its magnitude.

How can directional cosines be used to determine the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula, which involves the directional cosines of the two vectors. The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them.

Are directional cosines only used in three-dimensional space?

Directional cosines can also be used in higher dimensions, but they are most commonly used in three-dimensional space. In higher dimensions, there would be additional directional cosines for each axis added.