IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!

In summary: Reagan once said, "I was never a great student... but I was a great actor." In summary, Ronald Reagan is an expert summarizer of content. He likes the benefits of membership in the IEEE and the opportunities it provides. The cons include the academic bias of some of the publications and the disconnect between academia and practice. He finds the discounts and education benefits to be valuable.
Hercule Poirot
How many of you are members of the institute of electrical and electronic engineers (IEEE)?

other than the spectrum magazines which kept coming to my mailbox every month (many of them unread inside their plastic sheaths as I didn't have the time, eventually giving up all the issues to friends upon graduation and leaving the university), I really didn't make use of my student membership.

So what do you think of the "largest professional organization in North America"? what do you like most about it? what is the least thing you like about? What do you think of spectrum and other IEEE publications and magazines? What about the services they provide?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been a member for quite a few years, I find it quite worthwhile. However, I run a consulting company, and prior to that was an industrial research scientist. As such, my opinions are going to be mid way between the working engineer, and academia. This diveristy in the organization does cause conflict from time to time, as the needs of each group are often times 180 degrees opposed. Otoh, such diversity can be of benefit as well.

Pros:
IEEE or any other professional technical organization is a function of what you put into it. Meetings are probably my #1 reason for belonging. The connections you make are well worth it.

Society meetings can be beneficial as well, subject of course to travel issues. Its a fast track way to evaluate technology. And no, its not the presentations, its usually the casual conversations that make a difference. Otherwise, one could just purchase the proceedings, and avoid the travel headaches, and loss of work time.

The IEEE digital library has now become affordable... I use it all the time, well worth the $35/month fee. Many however won't due to the academic bias as noted in the con's section.

Discounts
are another pro... I get my office supplies for a substantial discount through member benefits. With ink costs of $100/month, it more than pays for the membership fee.

Education
The computer society includes a bunch of free courses. The biggest issue is a big disconnect between real life, and academia. Still, they are a lot better than many of the pay for courses one finds on the net.

Cons:
Publications
Spectrum as well as many of the publications end up being landfill fodder. I wish they would provide web access only, rather than wasting paper. Otoh, its a paradigm that has to change. IEEE makes a fortune on publishing... it subsidizes everything else. As such, I can understand the resistance to change. Still, when I was on the road 100 days a year, Spectrum and society pubs made for great airplane reading material. Now, they tend to create a lot of information overload... and as such, I've dropped out of a lot of the societies.

Academic bias:
Many of the society papers have such an academic slant to be of little value to the practicing engineer. Otoh, publishing real world engineering applications would slow things to a crawl, and then some. Its a lot easier to narrow a focus to a minute detail under perfect conditions and create neat and tidy models, than it would be to deal with real world effects where in the models complexity tides on insanity. In all fairness, some things can be gleaned from such an approach... still the average working engineer dismisses much of what is published because of the academic slant... combined with the fact that the last differential equation they solved was at the university eons ago.

Ron

As an IEEE member, I can say that I highly value my membership in this prestigious organization. I have been a member for several years now and have found it to be an invaluable resource for my professional development and growth in the field of electrical and electronic engineering.

One of the things I like most about IEEE is the vast network of professionals it provides. Through local chapter meetings, conferences, and online forums, I have been able to connect with like-minded individuals, exchange ideas, and learn from experts in the field. This has not only expanded my knowledge but also helped me build a strong professional network.

In terms of publications, I find IEEE Spectrum to be an excellent source of information on the latest advancements in technology and industry trends. The articles are well-researched and provide valuable insights into various technical areas. I also appreciate the diversity of topics covered, ranging from electrical engineering to computer science and beyond.

As for the services provided by IEEE, I have found them to be very helpful in my career. From job boards to career development resources, IEEE offers a wide range of services that cater to the needs of its members. I have personally used the job board to find new job opportunities, and the career development resources have helped me enhance my skills and stay relevant in a constantly evolving industry.

If I had to pick one thing that I like the least about IEEE, it would be the cost of membership. As a student, I also struggled to make full use of my membership due to time constraints and lack of awareness about the benefits. However, now as a professional, I can say that the cost is worth it for the value and opportunities that IEEE provides.

Overall, I highly recommend IEEE membership to anyone in the field of electrical and electronic engineering. It has been a valuable asset in my professional journey, and I am grateful for the experiences and opportunities it has provided me. I encourage other IEEE members to share their experiences and continue to support and contribute to this amazing organization.

What is the purpose of "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!"?

The purpose of "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!" is to provide a platform for IEEE members to share their experiences and insights with other members. This helps to foster collaboration and knowledge-sharing within the IEEE community.

How can I participate in "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!"?

To participate in "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!", you must be a member of IEEE. Once you have an IEEE membership, you can login to the IEEE website and access the "Share Your Experiences" section to contribute your own experiences and insights.

Can I share any type of experience on "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!"?

Yes, you can share any experience that is related to your involvement with IEEE. This can include research experiences, conference experiences, volunteering experiences, and more. The goal is to provide a diverse range of perspectives and insights to benefit other IEEE members.

How can I benefit from "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!"?

By participating in "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!", you can gain valuable knowledge and insights from other IEEE members. You can also build your professional network and potentially collaborate with other members on future projects.

Is there a limit to how many experiences I can share on "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!"?

No, there is no limit to the number of experiences you can share on "IEEE Members: Share Your Experiences!" However, it is important to ensure that your experiences are relevant and provide value to other members.