Addition of spin angular momenta

In summary,-The chis are wavefunctions, and the total state of an atom is written as the product of the individual wavefunctions.-Up to that point, the chis were represented by two-element vectors and the spin operators were 2x2 matrices, but this has gone completely out the window.-What actually happens when you do angular momentum addition is that you're taking the tensor product of two Hilbert spaces.-The operators I constructed here are special cases of the general concept of an operator on the combined space, which is called a bilinear form.
epsilonjon
Hi

I am working my way through Griffith's Introduction To Quantum Mechanics and I have got to the section on addition of spin angular momenta. I'll copy and paste the bit I'm struggling with, as it's easier than paraphrasing:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2783/80183858.png

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1294/20886932.png

I'm assuming [itex]\chi_1[/itex] is the spin state of the electron and [itex]\chi_2[/itex] is the spin state of the proton. So why is the total state of the atom written as [itex]\chi_1\chi_2[/itex]? Why not [itex]\chi_1 + \chi_2[/itex] or something different?

Secondly, he says that [itex]S^{(1)}[/itex] acts only on [itex]\chi_1[/itex], and [itex]S^{(2)}[/itex] acts only on [itex]\chi_2[/itex]. Why is this, and how come [itex]S \equiv S^{(1)}+S^{(2)}[/itex]? If the two particles are both spin 1/2 then aren't the matrices [itex]S^{(1)}[/itex] and [itex]S^{(2)}[/itex] both the same (i.e. just given by the 2x2 Pauli spin matrices)?

I think if I was clearer on those two points maybe the rest will make sense, so I will leave it there.

Thanks for any help! :smile:
Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Chis are wavefunctions. The wavefunction of two particles is the product of the individual wavefunctions.

Oh right. It's strange that he's just thrown that in there with no explanation. Is it something to do with the fact that [itex]P(A \cap B)=P(A)P(B)[/itex] when the probabilities are not connected?

Up to that point (for spin 1/2) the chis were represented by two-element vectors and the spin operators were 2x2 matrices, but this seems to have gone completely out the window?

Thanks for your help.

This point confused me for a really long time when first learning it as well. The reason it doesn't quite seem to follow logically is that they're taking some shortcuts to avoid a big digression into linear algebra. The shortcuts end up working, but if you don't understand what's going on underneath, it can seem a bit arbitrary.

What actually happens when you do angular momentum addition is that you're taking the tensor product of two Hilbert spaces. What that means is that if the first particle lives in the Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H_1}[/itex], and the second particle lives in the Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H_2}[/itex], then the combined system lives in the Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H_1}\times\mathcal{H_2}[/itex]. An element of this space looks like [itex](h_1, h_2)[/itex], where [itex]h_1\in\mathcal{H_1}, h_2\in\mathcal{H_2}[/itex]. As part of the definition of the tensor product, we also define [itex](ah_1, h_2) = a(h_1, h_2)[/itex], and [itex](h_1, bh_2) = b(h_1, h_2)[/itex].

You can also construct operators on this new combined space, out of the operators from the original spaces. Specifically, if [itex]S_1[/itex] is an operator on [itex]\mathcal{H_1}[/itex], then you can construct an operator on the combined Hilbert space by making [itex](S_1, 1)[/itex], where we define [itex](S_1,1)(h_1, h_2) = (S_1h_1, h_2) = (s_1h_1,h_2) = s_1(h_1, h_2)[/itex]. A similar process can be done for [itex]\mathcal{H_2}[/itex]. Therefore, in this notation, the total spin operator is really [itex]S = (S_1, 1) + (1, S_2)[/itex]. By substituting in these definitions, you should be able to see how this operator leads to eigenvalues which are the sums of the eigenvalues of the individual states.

The operators I constructed here are special cases of the general concept of an operator on the combined space, which is called a bilinear form. The general case is [itex](S_1, S_2)[/itex], which, if [itex]S_1h_1 = s_1h_1[/itex] and [itex]S_2h_2=s_2h_2[/itex], leads to [itex](S_1, S_2)(h_1, h_2) = (s_1h_1, s_2h_2) = s_1s_2(h_1, h_2)[/itex]. Defined this way, the combined operator is linear with respect to variations of either [itex]h_1[/itex] or [itex]h_2[/itex], hence the name. In the sections immediately following the one you're currently reading, you'll learn how to change the basis states of the combined Hilbert space into one where the bilinear form for spin separates the states out into two sub-spaces (the spin singlet and the spin triplet), using a process called a Clebsch-Gordan decomposition.

Last edited:

1. What is spin angular momentum in physics?

Spin angular momentum is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property and is often referred to as "spin" because it is analogous to the spinning of a classical object.

2. How is spin angular momentum different from orbital angular momentum?

Spin angular momentum and orbital angular momentum are both forms of angular momentum, but they have different origins. Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, while orbital angular momentum is related to the motion of particles around a central point.

3. How do you calculate the total spin angular momentum of a system?

The total spin angular momentum of a system is calculated by adding the individual spin angular momenta of all the particles in the system. This is similar to how you would add other types of angular momenta.

4. What is the significance of adding spin angular momenta in quantum mechanics?

The addition of spin angular momenta is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to describe the properties of systems with multiple particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons and protons.

5. How does the addition of spin angular momenta affect the overall energy of a system?

The addition of spin angular momenta can affect the overall energy of a system by changing the total angular momentum and therefore altering the energy levels of the system. This is particularly important in atomic and nuclear systems where spin interactions can significantly impact the energy levels and stability of particles.