Force experienced by a current-carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field

B).In summary, the Lorentz force formula is F = Bil, where the force experienced by a current-carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the current direction. This formula only applies when the current direction is perpendicular to the magnetic field, as shown by the right hand rule. The general formula is F = I l x B, which applies to all cases regardless of the current and magnetic field direction.
richieec
I'm a little bit confused about this...i know that when a current-carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force called Lorentz force, this is the formula:

F = Bil

but the thing i can't understand is whether this FORCE is perpendicular to the magnetic field or the magnetic field is perpendicular to the CURRENT?

by the right hand rule, i can see easily that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the force, but in some books and examples it says that the current must be perpendicular to the magnetic field for applies this formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi richieec! welcome to pf! :smile:
richieec said:
F = Bil

but the thing i can't understand is whether this FORCE is perpendicular to the magnetic field or the magnetic field is perpendicular to the CURRENT?

… in some books and examples it says that the current must be perpendicular to the magnetic field for applies this formula.

for this formula, yes

the general formula is F = I l x B

so this formula, F = BIl, only works if the current direction (l) is perpendicular to the magnetic field

1. What is the relationship between a current-carrying conductor and a magnetic field?

When a current-carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, a force is experienced by the conductor. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of the force determined?

The direction of the force experienced by the current-carrying conductor is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current and your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then your palm will face in the direction of the force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force?

The magnitude of the force experienced by a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field is determined by three factors: the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the conductor, and the amount of current flowing through the conductor. The greater these factors are, the stronger the force will be.

4. How does the angle between the current-carrying conductor and the magnetic field affect the force?

If the current-carrying conductor is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no force experienced. However, as the angle between the conductor and the field increases, so does the force. The maximum force is experienced when the conductor is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

5. Can the force experienced by a current-carrying conductor be used for practical applications?

Yes, the force experienced by a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field is the basis for many practical applications such as electric motors, generators, and electromagnetic relays. It is also used in particle accelerators and MRI machines.