Bound state transitions in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of non-relativistic quantum mechanics in handling the phenomenon of excited electrons emitting photons and falling into lower energy levels. It introduces the concept of quantum field theory, which allows for the description of particle creation and destruction. However, most of the current machinery in QFT is focused on free-particle scattering, making it challenging to deal with bound states. The conversation concludes by questioning how to approach a problem involving an electron in an external potential interacting with a photon.
Chopin
In non-relativistic QM, we spend a lot of time examining bound states--energy levels, spatial distributions, and all that. We can determine that an electron put into a Coulomb potential will have certain Hamiltonian eigenstates, which correspond to the orbitals of a hydrogen atom. However, in NRQM, all of these states are stable, whereas in real life an excited electron will eventually emit a photon and fall into a lower energy level. It makes sense that NRQM can't handle this phenomenon, because it has no way to discuss particle creation/destruction, so there's no way to describe energy leaving the system and dropping the electron to a different state.

Enter Quantum Field Theory. In QFT, it's very easy to describe particles being created/destroyed, so it seems as though it shouldn't have any problem discussing "excited electron -> electron + photon" transitions. However, most of the machinery I've seen thus far in QFT is focused around free-particle scattering--we spend a lot of time setting up Fock spaces for asymptotic in/out states, and computing the transition probabilities between them using perturbation theory. This makes sense, since most of our experiments come out of particle accelerators, but it doesn't seem like it helps much if you want to deal with bound states.

How, then, does one go about setting up a problem of this form? I know you can add an external potential to the Lagrangian in the form of a term like [itex]V(x)\phi(x)[/itex]. I would imagine that one can then solve the equations of motion for the particle sort of like before, except that instead of having a solution that is a superposition of plane waves, you'll get a solution that's a superposition of bound states.

But where would you go from here? Normal perturbation theory relies on breaking down the Hamiltonian into combinations of free-field propagators, but that doesn't work here because the particle doesn't obey the free-field equation anymore. Is it possible to work out the equivalent of a propagator for an electron in an external potential, and then use that to compute Feynman diagrams for a photon interacting with it? I haven't been able to find any references that describe how to deal with a problem like this, but it seems like the sort of basic scenario that ought to have been examined by somebody at this point. I'd appreciate any information anybody has on how to deal with this sort of problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually we treat the bound state atom as a quantum mechanics problem, and put the quantized EM field as perturbation, c.f. Sakurai's advanced quantum mechanics,chap 2. I think it is more or less equivalent with what you described here
Chopin said:
Is it possible to work out the equivalent of a propagator for an electron in an external potential, and then use that to compute Feynman diagrams for a photon interacting with it? I haven't been able to find any references that describe how to deal with a problem like this, but it seems like the sort of basic scenario that ought to have been examined by somebody at this point. I'd appreciate any information anybody has on how to deal with this sort of problem.
But when treating atomic problems Sakurai used old fashioned perturbation theory so you won't find propagators in the chapter.

1. What is a bound state transition in QFT?

A bound state transition in QFT refers to a process in which a particle transitions from one bound state to another, typically due to the emission or absorption of a virtual particle. In quantum field theory, particles are considered to be excitations of quantum fields, and this transition involves changes in the quantum field configuration.

2. How are bound state transitions described in QFT?

In QFT, bound state transitions are described by Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of the possible paths that a particle can take during a transition. These diagrams involve mathematical calculations that take into account the interactions between particles and the exchange of virtual particles.

3. What are some examples of bound state transitions in QFT?

One example of a bound state transition in QFT is the transition of an electron from one bound state to another in an atom, which is responsible for the emission or absorption of photons. Another example is the transition of quarks within a hadron, which is responsible for the strong nuclear force between protons and neutrons.

4. How do bound state transitions affect the properties of particles?

Bound state transitions can affect the properties of particles by changing their energy levels, momentum, and spin. This can lead to the emission or absorption of radiation, as well as changes in the particle's interactions with other particles.

5. What is the significance of bound state transitions in QFT?

Bound state transitions play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions in the quantum world. They are also important in explaining phenomena such as radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, and the stability of matter. Additionally, the study of bound state transitions has led to the development of various theoretical and computational tools in QFT.