Exploring Hybrid Atoms: Matter and Antimatter Composition in Nuclei

• Thread starter josetrimarchi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hybrid atoms, which are atoms composed of both matter and antimatter components. While some experimental evidence exists for the existence of antimatter atoms, the possibility of hybrid atoms is highly debated due to the likelihood of annihilation between the matter and antimatter components. Different decay modes for positronium, the closest analogue to a hybrid atom, are also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that it is unlikely for hybrid atoms to exist due to the annihilation of the matter and antimatter components.
josetrimarchi
[SOLVED] Hybrid Atoms

I should like to know your opinion about the possibility of the existence of atoms whose nuclii are composed of matter and antimatter components (simultaneously).
Which and where experiences had been made about it. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
U mean,antiprotons and antineutrons??I don't know of any experimental evidence,but let's discuss its theory...Question:what are the differences between an exotic nuclei and a "normal" one??

Daniel.

Google for positronium if your interested, they are real and have been observed. Its really a temporary state of course and is highly unstable.

Its the analogue of a hydrogen atom, where a positron and an electron interact via the coulomb field.. It has several decay modes, either a photon or 3 photons will come out.

Of course heavier antimatter atoms have halflifes that are even smaller, so experimentally they are challenging.

If I am reading the original post correctly, the question is not about an antimatter atom (like positronium), but an atom made of both matter and antimatter. I cannot see how such an atom would even be possible. I think that if a proton and an antiproton get close enough to form an atomic nucleus, they will annihilate one another.

Despite the common process of increasing atomic number by means of succesive fusion processes (i.e.: H + H = He, He + He = C, etc.), I think we must to take into account the fact that atomic weight can increase by particle capture processes.
Then, if an antihydrogen atom captures a neutron, the result is an exotic antideuterium atom carrying at its nuclii a neutron instead of an antineutron.
According to my actual knowledge (if someone knows it better I'll be gratefully indebted if you post, at this thread, the adequate reply) an antineutron can be annhilate only through close interaction with a neutron. Then, a neutron could be captured by antihydrogen nuclii, resulting in a exotic (or hybrid) antideuterium atom.
Remember that chemical properties of an (anti-)atom if given by its (anti-)electrons, and the atomic mass is carried by its nuclii.
Previous scenery is only possible if short range nuclear interaction is of the same nature between particles and antiparticles (or nucleons and antinucleons).

Know-it-All

Unfortunately, you would most likely get partial annihilation between the antiproton and the neutron. An antiproton is comprised of 3 antiquarks; 2 up antiquarks and 1 down. A neutron is comprised of one up quark and two down quarks. As a result, the up quark of the neutron would annihilate with one of the up antiquarks of the proton, and one of the down quarks of the neutron would annihilate with the down antiquark of the proton, leaving behind a meson composed of what's left over, an up antiquark and a down quark.

However, I guess it might be still be possible to form a hybrid atom with, say, an antiproton and some nucleon containing eg. strange quarks, which will not annihilate with the quarks of the antiproton.

Dear Know-it-all,
I totally agree with those concepts developed by you.
The trouble is the fact that if matter nuclii capture anti-neutrons, they should annihilate it, and the atom would dissappear.
It will occur the same when antimatter capture a neutron.
As our question was if hybrid atoms exists, your answer is that they can not exist, or annihilations and creations are simultaneous.

My best regards,
Sincerely
Jose Trimarchi

Nitpick (I study positromium formation at work):

Haelfix wrote:
"It has several decay modes, either a photon or 3 photons will come out."

There are really two types of Positronium (Ps): orthopositronium (o-Ps) and parapositronium (p-Ps). They each decay in a different way. For o-Ps, the spins of the positron and electron are parallel to each other, giving a net spin of 1 to the atom. In order to conserve momentum and spin, 3 photons (each having spin 1) are emitted. Their total energy it 1022 keV (rest mass of Ps).

For p-Ps, the spins of the electron and positron are anti-parallel, giving a net spin of 0. So p-Ps decays by two photons in order to conserve momentum and spin. Each photon has an energy of 511 keV and they travel in opposite directions. A single photon decay will not conserve momentum in either case.

Granted, more than 2 or 3 photon decays can occur, but they are very, very rare (something like 1 decay per 1,000,000 will give a five or four photon decay for each, o-Ps and p-Ps respectively).

Pyrovus said:
However, I guess it might be still be possible to form a hybrid atom with, say, an antiproton and some nucleon containing eg. strange quarks, which will not annihilate with the quarks of the antiproton.
Unfortunately, that would not work either, since an anti-strange quark can still weakly interact with an up quark and form an electron/neutrino pair. Personally I don't think any nuclei of the proposed type can be formed.

1. What is a hybrid atom?

A hybrid atom is a type of atom that contains both matter and antimatter particles in its nucleus. These particles are called quarks and antiquarks, and they come together to form the protons and neutrons that make up the nucleus of an atom.

2. How are hybrid atoms created?

Hybrid atoms can be created through various methods, such as high-energy collisions in particle accelerators or natural processes like cosmic ray interactions. These collisions result in the production of both matter and antimatter particles, which can then combine to form a hybrid atom.

3. What is the significance of studying hybrid atoms?

Studying hybrid atoms allows scientists to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter, as well as the nature of antimatter. It also has potential applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.

4. Are there any practical implications of hybrid atoms?

Yes, there are potential practical implications of studying hybrid atoms. For example, understanding antimatter composition in nuclei could lead to advancements in nuclear fusion technology, which could provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy.

5. What challenges are there in exploring hybrid atoms?

One of the main challenges in exploring hybrid atoms is the difficulty in creating and studying them. The production of antimatter is a complex and expensive process, and it is also difficult to contain and study antimatter due to its tendency to annihilate when it comes into contact with matter. Additionally, the properties of hybrid atoms are still not fully understood, making it a challenging area of research.