Oblique Triangle and the Law of Cosines: Solving for Change in Piston Rate

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a problem with cranks and pistons where an oblique triangle and the Law of Cosines need to be applied. The given values are θ = π/4, x = 7, c = 11, and dx/dt = 200. To find the rate of change of the piston, the equations c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcosC, a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bccosA, and b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2accosB are used. The connection between the variables a, b, c, and x is still unclear and more information is
courtrigrad
Hello all

I was given a problem involving cranks and pistons. I do not understand the exact question, but it involved an oblique triangle where you had to apply the Law of cosines. Let's say you are given [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}, x=7, c = 11 [/tex] where [tex] c [/tex] where c is the hypotenuse and [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 200 [/tex]. Find the rate of change of the piston.

So here it is:

[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C [/tex]
[tex] a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc\cos A [/tex]
[tex] b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2ac\cos B [/tex]

Ok so how would I solve for the change of the piston? Would I just find the derivative of the first Law of Cosine expression and substitute in the values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay,what's the connection betweent the 4 variables:a,b,c & x?? :confused:

Daniel.

What is x and what in the world is "the change of the piston"? (How does a piston change?)

sorry I meant to say the rate of change of the piston . [tex] x [/tex] is one of the sides of the triangle.

Still doesn't make too much sense... :grumpy: What about a,b,c ?What are they...??

HINT:Post the initial problem's text in original form... :grumpy:

Daniel.

1. What is an oblique triangle?

An oblique triangle is a type of triangle that has no right angles. This means that all three angles of the triangle are acute or obtuse angles.

2. What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side or measure of an angle in an oblique triangle. It states that the square of a side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the angle between them.

3. How is the Law of Cosines used to solve for change in piston rate?

In this context, the Law of Cosines is used to find the length of a side in a triangle representing the motion of a piston. By knowing the lengths of the other two sides and the angle between them, the Law of Cosines can be used to calculate the change in piston rate.

4. What is the significance of solving for change in piston rate?

The change in piston rate is an important factor in understanding the motion of a piston in an engine. It can determine the speed and efficiency of the engine, as well as any potential issues that may arise.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Law of Cosines to solve for change in piston rate?

Yes, there are some limitations. The Law of Cosines can only be used for solving triangles with known side lengths and angles. It cannot be used for triangles with only one side and angle known, as this would result in multiple possible solutions. Additionally, the Law of Cosines assumes that the triangle is a flat plane, and may not be accurate for more complex three-dimensional shapes.