Evaluating limit as h->0 of (e^h-1)/h

• Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of e^x from first principles and the use of the definition of e and L'Hopital's rule. The speaker suggests replacing e^h in the expression with 1+h and simplifying the expression to avoid getting 0/0.
autodidude
I'm trying to differentiate e^x from first principles but I can't find a way to manipulate this expression [tex]\frac{e^h-1}{h}[/tex] so I can evaluate the limit without getting 0/0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of e:
[itex]lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left( 1 + h \right)^{1/h} = e[/itex]
So for small values of h,
[itex]e \approx \left( 1 + h \right)^{1/h}[/itex], or
[itex]e^h \approx 1 + h[/itex].

Replace eh in [itex]\frac{e^h-1}{h}[/itex] with 1 + h and go on from there.

Diffy said:
L'hopitals rule works here too :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

In order to use L'Hopital's rule, you need to know the derivative of ex, but that's what the OP is trying to prove. To use L'Hopital's rule in this case would be circular logic.

Diffy said:
L'hopitals rule works here too :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

I'm not sure how. The OP is trying to "differentiate ex from first principles," which I assume means that he/she want to find the derivative of ex by using the limit definition:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^x = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{x+h} - e^x}{h} = ...[/tex]
I don't think you can use L'Hopitals' Rule when we "don't know" the derivative of ex yet.EDIT: Beaten to it by Mute. :wink:

Oops my bad. I didn't read.

eumyang said:
Use the definition of e:
[itex]lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left( 1 + h \right)^{1/h} = e[/itex]
So for small values of h,
[itex]e \approx \left( 1 + h \right)^{1/h}[/itex], or
[itex]e^h \approx 1 + h[/itex].

Replace eh in [itex]\frac{e^h-1}{h}[/itex] with 1 + h and go on from there.

Don't we get 0/0 again?

Limit h->0

[tex]\frac{1+h-1}{h}[/tex]

autodidude said:
Don't we get 0/0 again?

Limit h->0

[tex]\frac{1+h-1}{h}[/tex]
Um, you need to simplify the expression.
[tex]lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{1+h-1}{h} = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{h}{h} = ...[/tex]

^ Ah, thanks a lot...must've had a brain meltdown :p

1. What is the significance of evaluating the limit as h approaches 0 of (e^h-1)/h?

The limit as h approaches 0 of (e^h-1)/h is an important concept in calculus and is used to find the instantaneous rate of change, or the slope of a curve, at a specific point on a function. It is also used in the definition of the derivative, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. How do you evaluate the limit as h approaches 0 of (e^h-1)/h?

To evaluate this limit, you can use L'Hopital's rule, which states that if the limit of a function f(x) divided by g(x) as x approaches a is of the form 0/0 or infinity/infinity, then the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and then taking the limit again.

3. Can the limit as h approaches 0 of (e^h-1)/h be evaluated without using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are other methods for evaluating this limit, such as using Taylor series or the definition of the derivative. However, L'Hopital's rule is often the most efficient method.

4. What is the value of the limit as h approaches 0 of (e^h-1)/h?

The value of this limit is 1.

5. What is the significance of the value of the limit as h approaches 0 of (e^h-1)/h being 1?

The value of this limit being 1 means that the slope of the tangent line at x=0 on the function f(x)=e^x is also 1. This is significant because it shows that the function e^x is its own derivative, and it has a constant rate of change of 1 at all points on the curve.