Angular momentum and orbital angular momentum problems

In summary, we have discussed three different scenarios in which angular momentum is involved. In the first scenario, a proton with a mass of rotates at an angular speed of 2*10^6 rad/s in a circle of radius 0.8m in a cyclotron. The orbital angular momentum of the proton can be calculated using the formula L=I*ω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. In the second scenario, we are given that an object's angular momentum changes by 10Kgm/s^2 and we need to find the magnitude of the average torque that acted on it. This can be calculated using the equation τ=ΔL/Δt, where τ
sebasalekhine7
1. A proton of mass rotates with an angular speed of 2*10^6 rad/s in a circle of radius 0.8m in a cyclotron. What is the orbital angular momentum of the proton?

2.An object's angular momentum changes by 10Kgm/s^2. What magnitude average torque acted on this object?

3. A pulsar which emits radio waves 642 times per second has a mass of 2*10^30 kg and has a radius of only 15km.
a) What is the linear speed of a point on the equator of this pulsar? Ignore relativistic effects.
b) If our sun, with mass 2*10^30 kg and radius 7*10^5 km had the same angular momentum as this pulsar, approximately what would its rotational period be?

BTW, how do I upload an avatar to my profile? I tried in the CP but I didn't find any option that would allow me to do so.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28

I understand what you mean by your post, but I have little to work with, since we are not having these topics in our physics class, this is independent study for the science league. Let's see, I have [tex]I=2/5MR^2[/tex] , I also have [tex]\omega=v/r[/tex]

I think 3a is like this: Ok, I think I have 3a. it is rotating at [tex](642rev/s)(2\pi rad/rev)(15000m)=V[/tex]

Besides this, I have no idea as to what to do next.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've got question # 1. Is orbital angular momentum =angular velocity*radius^2 ?

Last edited:

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

What is the difference between orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of an object around a central point, such as the motion of planets around the sun. Spin angular momentum, on the other hand, refers to the intrinsic rotational motion of a particle, such as the spin of an electron.

How is angular momentum related to centripetal force?

In circular motion, the centripetal force is responsible for the change in direction of an object's velocity. This force is always perpendicular to the direction of motion, and its magnitude is equal to the product of the object's mass, velocity, and the radius of its circular path. Angular momentum is directly proportional to the centripetal force, as it is a measure of the rotational motion caused by this force.

What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some common examples of angular momentum include the spinning motion of a top or gyroscope, the rotation of a planet around its axis, and the motion of a spinning ice skater. Angular momentum is also important in the operation of machines such as turbines and propellers.