Should I double major in robotics engineering and physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in a double major in robotics engineering and applied physics, and the potential challenges and benefits of such a demanding program. The conversation also touches on the growing field of robotics and the potential for future opportunities in this field. The speaker is also considering pursuing a PhD in physics with a focus on applied physics and energy generation, and is seeking advice on the potential impact of a double major on graduate school admissions.
camjohn
I'm going to be a freshman this year at UCSC. My initial plan was to double major in physics and pure mathematics, but I recently changed my mind after realizing that I want to obtain an education applicable to the real world (creating things and doing research on energy). Once I switched to applied physics, I found out that UCSC created a new major -- robotics engineering -- just last year. I felt like an idiot for having just found this out, given my strong interest in robotics, but I instantly became intrigued by the idea of double majoring in robotics engineering and applied physics. When I finished the plan, I was thrilled to discover that the double major was indeed possible in five years, but that wasn't the only thing I discovered; such an extensive double major requires 20 units of engineering/physics/math virtually every quarter.

Is twenty units of technical courses doable? I understand that it will clearly take a lot of work, especially since I'm a very social person and will be going out on weekend nights, but is it possible? My next step will be to go to grad school and get a PHD in phyiscs doing research in the applied physics area for energy generation and manipulation, perhaps solid state physics? I'm not quite sure, and that'll be in years to come so I understand that I have to time map that out. But it is related to my other question: will the double major hurt my grad school admissions? Getting a 4.0 with the double major would be totally impractical, but I imagine that I'll still be able to get around the 3.5 area. Will my clearly extensive coursework and massive amount of undergraduate reserach (UCSC is one of the best schools in the world for undergraduate natural sciences/engineering research, and I have to complete an extensive research project for each major :0) make up for the difference of what I estimate to be .5 points on my GPA?

Lastly, does anyone have some insight on the robotics field? Isn't the technology quickly emerging, and thus demand for those with the skill rapidly increasing?

If anyone wishes to see the curriculum for each major, I've posted each here.

Robotics: https://ua.soe.ucsc.edu/sites/default/files/RE_11-12_0.pdf

Applied physics: http://undergrad.pbsci.ucsc.edu/programs/physics/apphbs.html [Broken]

Thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
! Yes, twenty units of technical courses is doable. It will take hard work and dedication, but it is possible with the right balance of academics and social life. Your double major in robotics engineering and applied physics will definitely be impressive to potential graduate schools and will give you an edge over other applicants. Having a double major in two technical and challenging fields will show your commitment to learning and your ability to handle difficult coursework. Additionally, if you can maintain a good GPA (around 3.5) while completing two majors, this will also look good to admissions officers. As for the robotics field, it is indeed a rapidly growing field and there is a high demand for those with the skills required to develop robotics applications. Robotics engineers are responsible for designing, testing, and building robots, as well as creating the software for these robots. They need to have knowledge of both hardware and software engineering, as well as a deep understanding of mathematics and physics. As the technology continues to develop, the demand for robotics engineers is expected to increase.

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in robotics engineering and physics?

Double majoring in robotics engineering and physics allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields, which can lead to a wider range of career opportunities. It also allows for a deeper understanding of how these two disciplines intersect and can be applied together in real-world scenarios.

2. Will double majoring in these fields be too difficult or time-consuming?

Double majoring in any two fields can be challenging, but with proper time management and dedication, it is possible to succeed. It is important to consult with academic advisors and create a plan to balance coursework and extracurricular activities.

3. Are there any overlapping courses between robotics engineering and physics majors?

There may be some overlapping courses, as both majors involve mathematics and science principles. However, each major also has its own unique courses that are necessary to complete for graduation. It is important to carefully plan out which courses to take each semester to avoid repeating material.

4. What careers can I pursue with a double major in robotics engineering and physics?

With a double major in robotics engineering and physics, there are a variety of career paths that one can pursue, such as working in research and development for technology companies, designing and building robots for various industries, or pursuing graduate studies in either field.

5. Are there any recommended extracurricular activities or internships to enhance my double major?

Participating in extracurricular activities related to robotics engineering and physics, such as joining a robotics club or conducting research with a professor, can provide hands-on experience and strengthen your skills in both fields. Internships in related industries can also provide valuable practical experience and help to build a professional network.