What field am I describing?

• Thread starter cytochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of computationally designing and predicting properties of matter, specifically fluids and solids, using microscopic information and atomic theory. This is achieved through molecular modeling and the development of theories to efficiently carry out this task and understand the relationship between macroscopic behavior and microscopic composition. The recommended fields of study for this research include condensed matter physics and material science, with a suggestion to also consider a dual in computer science for a more well-rounded skillset.
cytochrome
I want to computationally design and predict properties of matter (fluids and solids) via microscopic information and atomic theory. Molecular modeling applied to a variety of materials for prediction of electrical, magnetic, optical, and mechanical properties as well as bio compatibility.

I also want to design theories to more efficiently carry out this task and show the relationship between macroscopic behavior and microscopic composition.

Does this fall under Materials Science, Physics (condensed matter?), Chemistry, Chemical engineering, or something else? What is the best major to study to carry out this research in graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Condensed matter physcs/material science.

I reccomend studying physics, and taking some material science classes along the way. Then you're far less limited, as opposed to only studying material science where you'll be missing a lot of physics (and probably focus a lot on experimental and laboratoy techniques).

Might also want to consider a dual in computer science.

1. What is the purpose of the field I am describing?

The purpose of the field may vary depending on the specific area of study, but in general, the purpose of scientific fields is to understand and explain natural phenomena, make predictions, and develop new technologies or methods.

2. What methods or techniques are used in this field?

Each scientific field has its own set of methods and techniques that are used to conduct research and collect data. These may include experiments, observations, surveys, computer simulations, and mathematical models.

3. How does this field contribute to society?

Scientific fields contribute to society in many ways. They help us understand the world around us, develop new technologies, improve health and well-being, and address global challenges such as climate change and food security.

4. What are some common career paths in this field?

Careers in scientific fields can vary greatly, but some common career paths include research scientists, professors, science writers, science communicators, and industry professionals such as engineers or consultants.

5. What are some current advancements or breakthroughs in this field?

There are always new advancements and breakthroughs happening in scientific fields. Some recent examples include the development of gene editing technologies, the discovery of new exoplanets, and advancements in renewable energy sources.