Raspberry Pi board projects and advice?

In summary, the conversation discussed using a Raspberry Pi board for basic and complex projects, and inquiring about the best types of projects to attempt and which board would be best for a beginner. The speaker also mentioned the possibility of stringing multiple boards together to create a larger computer for hosting multiple Minecraft servers. They also mentioned the benefits of using a Raspberry Pi as a Personal Virtual Private Network (VPN) for secure online browsing, and provided resources for setting up a Raspberry Pi cluster and creating an uptime monitor.
eyeswideopened
I am looking to work with a raspberry pi board to do some basic and eventually more complex things, what are the best types of things to attempt / what type of raspberry pi board is the best to purchase for a starter? As for the boards themselves I am aware that are quite powerful and I have seen all types of robot cars and computers. Would it be possible to string a few of them together to create a large enough computer to host multiple minecraft servers on? I want to see what I can do with this once I go into college.

Computer science news on Phys.org
As long as you have no idea what you are going to use it for, start with B - A can be enough for some applications, but because of a single USB port and lack of net interface it will be PITA. $10 is not worth the hassle.

If you are worried about your online activities being monitored (as I am!) you can make a Personal Virtual Private Network (VPN) with a Raspberry Pi!

http://lifehacker.com/5978098/turn-...sonal-vpn-for-secure-browsing-anywhere-you-go

A VPN encrypts communication between your computer and the VPN. You can connect to it from anywhere on the internet. This allows you to have completely secure communication - even on unprotected public WiFi! I'm running one of these to secure communications via my Android phone. It works like a charm.

This is an easy project to do, and rewards you with greater security online.

1. What is a Raspberry Pi board and what can I do with it?

The Raspberry Pi is a small, affordable, and versatile single-board computer that can be used for a variety of projects, such as building a media center, home automation system, retro gaming console, or even a personal computer.

2. Do I need programming experience to use a Raspberry Pi?

While some projects may require programming knowledge, there are many resources and tutorials available for beginners. You can also use pre-made software and operating systems that don't require any coding.

3. What are some practical uses for a Raspberry Pi?

Aside from hobby projects, a Raspberry Pi can also be used for practical purposes such as a low-cost desktop computer, a network-attached storage (NAS) device, a web server, or a virtual private network (VPN) server.

4. Can I connect other devices and components to a Raspberry Pi?

Yes, the Raspberry Pi has several input/output pins that allow you to connect sensors, motors, lights, and other devices for more advanced projects. There are also many expansion boards and modules available for even more capabilities.

5. Where can I find project ideas and support for my Raspberry Pi?

There are many online communities and forums dedicated to Raspberry Pi enthusiasts, such as the official Raspberry Pi forum, Reddit's r/raspberry_pi subreddit, and the Raspberry Pi Foundation's blog. You can also find project ideas and tutorials on websites like Hackster and Instructables.