Combinatorics interview questions raspberry

In summary, the speaker is expressing frustration with technical interviewers who ask complicated combinatorics questions, as if it is the ultimate measure of a candidate's abilities. They argue that while combinatorics is a valuable skill, it should not be the sole factor in evaluating a candidate. They also mention the added pressure of having to prepare for both technical and company-specific questions, and express doubt about the relevance of combinatorics in certain interview situations.
Iforgot
I'm just whining about how every technical interviewer seems to think that "Oooh, I'll ask a complicated combinatorics question. That'll get them."

Some one needs to explain to interviewers that combinatorics is another field that can be learned, and while it's more relevant than asking questions about animal husbandry, it's not a accurate metric to evaluate a candidates performance .

I've done due diligence and learned combinatorics. But preparing for an interview already requires learning the ins and outs of the company, preparing answers to the expected questions, etc... And now on top of it, I need to brush up on my combinatorics too?! Phooey!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate on what the question was? Lots of places will ask you questions that require being clever about how you count something but it's not really combinatorics

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or elements in a systematic way. It involves the study of permutations, combinations, and other related concepts.

2. What are some common applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has various applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and physics. It is used in cryptography, coding theory, and designing experiments. It also plays a role in analyzing algorithms and predicting outcomes in games of chance.

3. How is combinatorics related to probability?

Combinatorics is closely related to probability, as it involves counting the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario. It helps in calculating the probability of certain events occurring and is often used in solving problems involving probability.

4. What are some commonly used tools or techniques in combinatorics?

Some commonly used tools in combinatorics include permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. Other techniques such as generating functions, inclusion-exclusion principle, and Pólya's enumeration theorem are also frequently used in combinatorial problems.

5. How is combinatorics used in data analysis?

Combinatorics is used in data analysis to help in organizing and categorizing large sets of data. It can be used in data mining, pattern recognition, and data compression. It also plays a role in designing efficient algorithms for processing and analyzing large data sets.