Is it Possible to Stop a Tornado with Explosives?

• Thread starter Dennmann57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary: So, in summary, you are thinking of releasing butterflies into the air to disrupt the wind patterns that make a tornado.In summary, Dave is thinking of using butterflies to disrupt the wind patterns that make a tornado.
“The Thermodynamic Laws of Water for living Organisms are at variance from our Technical Possibilities and Abilities to keep the toxic properties in limits compatible with long-term Survival “
(Karl Trincher, former Cooperating Researcher of Sacharow, see his work in Urban-Schwarzenberg- Verlag 1982 and in Herder 83, and Hevesy’s Review on Radiomimetic Phenomena 1959)
Cheers,
klasse35

and what does that have to do with storms and the blowing up/disruption of tornadoes ??

Dave

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
klasse35; there are concepts in your posts that I have never met before. Are you perhaps an exotic chef ?
By stirring up an assortment of carefuly selected scientific terms you appear to have made quite a delightful “new age soup”.

Likes 1 person
a missile or explosion wouldn't be able to disrupt the wind pattern of a large tonado; it might make it lose strength momentarily but wouldn't be able to stop the wind spinning

We are a long way from learning all the dynamics that go on in a thunderstorm.
Perhaps outflow boundaries may be a way of vectoring off some of the energy.
If we could through seeding and such, create an outflow boundary,
we might be able to keep the local energy low enough that the tornado does not form.

Hmmm aoml have a similar statement about the advisability of nuking cyclones...
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.​
Tornados are a lot less energetic but still... disrupting the supercell thunderstorm they are a part of would be on a similar scale.
You may as well throw sharks at it as well - radioactive sharknado?
I figured it would be as well to have the data-links in one place.

Couldn't we stop a tornado from forming with a big enough vacuum? Like a manmade structure that opens up on contact with the tornado and sucks it in, of course the purpose of the vacuum would be to counteract the violent winds present during the tornado. I could be way off but it's just a theory .:)

The short answer is no. You have to eliminate the cause which is the temperature difference between air masses. The cost of any contraption that would actually do something to disrupt a major tornado is VERY large. What do you suppose it would weigh? More than would allow us to move it around. So we would need hundreds of them every square mile. The basic practical elements of this absolutely preclude being able to do anything like this. We strive to improve forecasting, which is attainable.

Please do not post speculative threads like this on PF. We do have a Science Fiction forum. I am going to ask this thread to be moved there.

jim mcnamara said:
Please do not post speculative threads like this on PF. We do have a Science Fiction forum. I am going to ask this thread to be moved there.

Maybe better to lock this long-dead thread to prevent future reanimations...

Likes Evo