How to Derive Euler's Identity?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, Euler's identity is a mathematical equation discovered by Leonhard Euler that relates five fundamental mathematical constants: e (Euler's number), π (pi), i (the imaginary unit), 1 (the multiplicative identity), and 0 (the additive identity). It is considered one of the most beautiful and significant equations in mathematics and has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It was first discovered by Euler in the 18th century, but there is some debate over whether it was first discovered by Indian mathematician Madhava of Sangamagrama. It is a true mathematical statement that has been proven using rigorous techniques.
DiracPool
Hello. Please tell me how do I derive:

cos(θ)=1/2 ([itex]e^{iθ}[/itex]+[itex]e^{-iθ}[/itex])

[itex]e^{iθ}[/itex]=cos(θ) + isin(θ)

as well as:

sin(θ)=1/2i ([itex]e^{iθ}[/itex]-[itex]e^{-iθ}[/itex])

I can't figure it out...for example, where does the 1/2 come from? Thank you:smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Write out what ##e^{-i\theta}## is.

Edit: ninja'd by the OP

What is Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is a mathematical equation that relates five fundamental mathematical constants: e (Euler's number), π (pi), i (the imaginary unit), 1 (the multiplicative identity), and 0 (the additive identity). It is written as e + 1 = 0.

Who discovered Euler's identity?

Euler's identity was first discovered by the famous Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. However, there is some debate over whether Euler was the first to discover it, as some historians suggest that Indian mathematician Madhava of Sangamagrama may have discovered it centuries earlier.

What is the significance of Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is considered by many mathematicians to be one of the most beautiful and significant equations in mathematics. It connects seemingly unrelated mathematical constants in a simple and elegant way, and has many important applications in fields such as calculus, complex analysis, and number theory.

Is Euler's identity true?

Yes, Euler's identity is a true mathematical statement. It has been proven using rigorous mathematical techniques and is considered to be a fundamental truth in mathematics.

What are some real-life applications of Euler's identity?

Euler's identity has many important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. For example, it is used in the study of harmonic motion, electrical circuits, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, it has been used in the development of encryption algorithms and in understanding the behavior of waves and vibrations.