Metricity Equation: ∇_{μ}g_{αβ}=0, ∇_{μ}g^αβ ≠ 0?

• Thread starter kuecken
  • Start date
In summary, the metricity equation ##\nabla_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta}=0## is equivalent to ##\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta}=0##. This can be easily seen by contracting both sides with the metric tensor and using the metricity condition. One can also define contravariant derivatives using the metric tensor.
kuecken
∇[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]g[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]=0 is the metricity equation (∇ the covariant derivative).
However, I wondered whether also ∇[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\alpha\beta}[/itex]=0 holds?
When I checked it, it did not. But I really want it to hold, so I was wondering whether I made a mistake.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kuecken. In fact ##\nabla_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta} = 0 \Leftrightarrow \nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta} = 0##.

This is actually very easy to see:

##0 = \nabla_{\mu}\delta^{\alpha}{}{}_{\beta} = \nabla_{\mu}(g^{\alpha \gamma}g_{\gamma \beta}) = g^{\alpha\gamma}\nabla_{\mu}g_{\gamma \beta} + g_{\gamma\beta}\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha \gamma}## holds identically hence if ##\nabla_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta} = 0## then ##\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta} = 0## and similarly for the converse.

Likes 1 person
This is the expression I arrived at. However, can I argue that the g[itex]_{\gamma\beta}[/itex] in front of ∇ is arbitrary? Or how do I do that last step

So we have ##g_{\gamma\beta}\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\gamma} = 0##. Contract both sides with ##g^{\nu\beta}## to get ##\delta^{\nu}{}{}_{\gamma}\nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\gamma} = \nabla_{\mu}g^{\alpha\nu} = 0##.

Likes 1 person
Because of the metricity condition, one can define the so-called contravariant derivatives:

[tex] \nabla^{\mu}T_{\alpha} = g^{\mu\nu} \nabla_{\nu}T_{\alpha}[/tex]

[tex] = \nabla_{\nu}\left(g^{\mu\nu}T_{\alpha}\right)[/tex]

that is freely take out and put back the metric tensor under the covariant/contravariant differentiation sign.

What is the Metricity Equation?

The Metricity Equation is a mathematical equation used in the field of differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space. It is written as ∇_{μ}g_{αβ}=0, where ∇ represents the covariant derivative, g is the metric tensor, μ is the index for the derivative, and α and β are indices for the components of the tensor.

What does the Metricity Equation represent?

The Metricity Equation represents the fact that the covariant derivative of the metric tensor is equal to zero. This means that the metric tensor is invariant under parallel transport, which is a way of measuring distances and angles in curved spaces.

What does it mean if the covariant derivative of the metric tensor is equal to zero?

If the covariant derivative of the metric tensor is equal to zero, it means that the metric tensor is independent of the coordinates used to describe the space. This is a fundamental property of a space that is considered to be "flat" or "Euclidean". In other words, the space has no curvature.

What is the significance of the Metricity Equation in physics?

The Metricity Equation is significant in physics because it is used to describe the geometry of spacetime in the theory of general relativity. It is a fundamental equation that helps us understand the curvature of spacetime and how it is influenced by matter and energy.

What is the difference between ∇_{μ}g_{αβ}=0 and ∇_{μ}g^αβ ≠ 0?

The main difference between these two equations is the placement of the indices. In the first equation, the indices are in the lower position, indicating that it is a covariant derivative. In the second equation, the indices are in the upper position, indicating that it is a contravariant derivative. The meaning and significance of the equations remain the same, but they represent different mathematical operations.