Einstein Eq. & Stiffness of Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spacetime as an elastic medium and whether stresses can cause a deformation of spacetime. The value for the elastic modulus of spacetime is mentioned and it is questioned how it is related to Einstein's constant. There is also a mention of using equations for a small perturbation of flat spacetime to calculate this value. However, as there is only one source from twitter and another from a crackpot journal, it is concluded that this idea is not part of the scientific mainstream and may not be meaningful.
Sonderval
Looking at the Einstein equation, stresses can cause a deformation of space time.
This link here
https://twitter.com/anilananth/status/339030628181868544
gives a value for the elastic modulus ("stiffness") of spacetime.
I think that the value of 10^24GPa must be related to Einstein's constant 8 pi G/c^4 - I suspect that one uses the equations for a small perturbation of flat spacetime (as Misner Thorne Wheeler, eq. 18.8b) to calculate this, but I don't see how it is done exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful to have a source with more detail than twitter.

Yes it would, but that's all I have found...

I think this is just an example of the party game, Planck Scale Fun.

Take any physical quantity (pressure, say). Out of the Planck Mass, Length and Time, construct a unit with those dimensions. Then marvel about how large/small that unit is. :wink:

But isn't there a physical meaning to it?
After all, the rhs of the linearised Einstein equation contains a stress (in the T_ij-part of the tensor), the lhs a change in the metric (which is similar to an elastic strain, it is a chenge of length relative to a length).
So I think it should be posisble to re-write things in a way similar to Hooke's law - at least that is what I thought when I read "stiffness of space". Or is this too simplistic?

OK, more seriously.. This guy Anil Ananthaswamy is not a scientist, he's a popular science writer. Even if he had a valid point to make, Twitter is not the place of choice to publish it, I think! :eek:

Secondly, isn't it just a naming coincidence - the "stress" Tij in Einstein's Equation is the stress in a material body, not some stress being applied to spacetime. And the "strain" hμν generally results from T00 rather than Tij. Also it is a nonlocal effect - stress here produces strain over there.

There always have been attempts to imagine spacetime as some kind of elastic medium. I know when our class first learned about the dragging of inertial frames near a rotating body, we used to joke about calculating the "Viscosity of Free Space". :smile:

Likes 1 person
@Bill_K
So even in this interpretation it is matter being stressed that causes a "strain" (change in the metric), but it is not spacetime that is "stressed" in any way.

"There always have been attempts to imagine spacetime as some kind of elastic medium."
I found this, for example
[crackpot link deleted]
Is this kind of approach meaningful?

Last edited by a moderator:
That approach is in a crackpot journal. So it's unlikely that this kind of approach is meaningful.

Given that we have one source from twitter, one source from a crackpot journal, and nothing else, I have to conclude that this idea is not part of the scientific mainstream, so does not fit the PF mission. (To be fair, I think a better description is that we have something too vague to discuss)

Likes 1 person

1. What is Einstein's equation and why is it important?

Einstein's equation, also known as the Einstein field equations, is a set of 10 equations that describe the relationship between matter and the curvature of spacetime. It is important because it forms the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity works and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of the universe on a large scale.

2. How does the stiffness of spacetime affect the behavior of objects in the universe?

The stiffness of spacetime, also known as its curvature, determines how objects move and interact with each other. In general relativity, the more mass and energy an object has, the more it curves the spacetime around it. This curvature affects the paths that objects take, leading to the familiar effects of gravity such as the orbit of planets around the sun.

3. Can you explain how Einstein's equation accounts for the effects of gravity?

Einstein's equation includes a term called the stress-energy tensor, which represents the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime. This tensor is a source of curvature, and as mentioned before, the more matter and energy there is in a certain region, the more curvature there will be. This curvature is what we experience as the force of gravity.

4. How does the stiffness of spacetime change in the presence of massive objects?

In the presence of massive objects, the stiffness of spacetime changes due to the additional curvature caused by the object's mass. The more massive the object, the greater the curvature and the stiffer the spacetime will be. This is why objects with more mass, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational pull.

5. Is there any evidence that supports Einstein's equation and the concept of spacetime stiffness?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence that supports Einstein's equation and the concept of spacetime stiffness. One of the most famous examples is the observed bending of starlight around massive objects, such as stars or galaxies. This effect, known as gravitational lensing, is a direct result of the curvature of spacetime predicted by Einstein's equation.