Ionization, neutralization, electrical breakdown etc.

In summary, the conversation is asking for recommendations for materials on the topic of ionization and neutralization between gas atoms and metal. The phenomenon is complex and ongoing research in accelerator and high gradient studies. The most popular model for breakdown in vacuum involves surface geometry, high fields causing electron emission, collisions with residual gasses, and the creation of ions. This process can lead to a spark and is easier in air due to higher gas density. A recommended article to read is by F. Schwirzke in IEEE Trans. Plasma Science (1991).
tendor
Hi,
could someone direct me or recommend me some materials which deal with those problems?

I would like to get deeper understanding of it (I know it requires qm), see how exactly such things happens and be able to quantify it (not just with phenomenological theory).

For example when I get charged and move myself near enough to the metal door frame a spark will occur, or when I take piezo lighter - the electrode has "big enough charge/at same sharper places big enough electric field" that it's able to ionize the air around it.

But does it use already existing ions, or is it strong enough to create new ones? What exactly happens in processes of ionization and neutralization between an atom of particular gas and a certain metal (more elaborately than simple statement that electron jumps/tunnels from one thing to another)? Does an ion of some gas always neutralize itself when it "collides" with zero voltage (grounded) piece of metal? And so on...

Physics news on Phys.org
The phenomenon is more complex that most people realize. In fact, in accelerator/high gradient studies, this is still an ongoing research area.

The most popular model for breakdown in vacuum, for example, has the following steps:

1. Surface geometry that is sharp has high field-enhancement factor.

2. High fields cause electrons to be emitted via field-emission (tunneling). Regions around high field enchancement factor will emit more since the field is higher there.

3. The field-emitted electrons gain energy from the external field.

4. These electrons collide with residual gasses, creating ions.

5. As this goes on, the ions and electrons separate due to the external field. The ions are attracted towards the emitter surface while the electrons are pushed away.

6. The ions that crash onto the surface may, in turn, generate even more residual gas specie into the region above the surface of the emitter.

7. This process continues until you get a trigger point in which this ignites a plasma cascade that we call a "spark".

The process in air occurs earlier and easier than in vacuum due to the higher density of gasses to be ignited.

If you have access to IEEE articles, the best paper to read is by F. Schwirzke, IEEE Trans. Plasma Science v.18, p.690 (1991).

Zz.

Last edited:

1. What is ionization?

Ionization is the process by which an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons, resulting in a charged particle called an ion. This can occur through various methods such as exposure to high energy radiation, collisions with other particles, or through chemical reactions.

2. How does neutralization occur?

Neutralization is the chemical reaction between an acid and a base, resulting in the formation of a salt and water. The acid donates a proton (hydrogen ion) to the base, neutralizing its effects and forming a neutral solution.

3. What is electrical breakdown?

Electrical breakdown is the process by which an insulating material (such as air) becomes conductive due to the presence of a high electric field. This can lead to the flow of electric current and potentially damage to the material or surrounding objects.

4. How does ionization affect conductivity?

Ionization increases conductivity in a material because the presence of charged particles (ions) allows for the flow of electric current. In contrast, neutral materials do not allow for the flow of current as their charges are balanced.

5. What are some common sources of ionization?

Some common sources of ionization include cosmic rays from outer space, radioactive decay, UV radiation from the sun, and electrical discharges from lightning or man-made devices such as X-ray machines.