I need some peer review of this problem

In summary, the radius of convergence for the series \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{(n+1)}nx^n}{2^n} is x<2 and the interval of convergence is (-2,2). There was confusion about the interval being [-2,2) but it was clarified that the series does not converge at x=2 or x=-2. The conclusion is that the series diverges for both of these values.
RadiationX
find the radius and interval of convergence of:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{(n+1)}nx^n}{2^n}[/tex]

the radius is [tex]x<2[/tex]

and the interval is [-2,2)

are these two answers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes

-- AI
[edit]
wait a minute
just noticed something
u sure it converges for -2?
the interval should (-2,2)
[/edit]

Last edited:
when i put this in my calculator it adds up at [-2,2).

RadiationX said:
when i put this in my calculator it adds up at [-2,2).

Step 1) throw away your calculator

Step 2) check convergence at x= -2 with pencil and paper

shmoe said:
Step 1) throw away your calculator

Step 2) check convergence at x= -2 with pencil and paper

ah i used the alternating series convergence test incorrectly. by the nth term test for divergence i get that the limit of the series is [tex]\infty[/tex] which is not equal to zero so it diverges.

have i come to the correct conclusion shmoe?

At x= 2, the general term is [tex](-1)^{n+1}n[/tex]
At x= -2, the general term is [tex](-1)^{2n+1}n[/tex]

The series does not converge at either of those because the term does not go to zero. The interval of convergence is (-2, 2).

1. What is peer review?

Peer review is a process in which a piece of work, such as a research paper or experiment, is evaluated by experts in the same field in order to ensure its quality, accuracy, and validity. It involves critical examination and feedback from colleagues before it is published or presented to the public.

2. Why is peer review important?

Peer review is important because it helps to maintain the integrity and credibility of scientific research. It allows for the identification of errors or flaws in the work, as well as providing constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement. This helps to ensure that only high-quality and reliable information is shared with the scientific community and the public.

3. Who can provide peer review?

Typically, peer review is conducted by experts in the same field as the work being evaluated. This can include other scientists, researchers, or scholars who have knowledge and expertise in the specific subject matter. In some cases, graduate students or postdoctoral researchers may also be involved in the peer review process.

4. What are the benefits of receiving peer review?

Receiving peer review can provide valuable feedback and insights that can help to improve the quality and impact of the work. It also allows for collaboration and networking with other experts in the field, leading to potential opportunities for further research and publication. Additionally, having peer-reviewed work can enhance the credibility and reputation of the author.

5. How can I find peer review for my work?

There are a few ways to find peer review for your work. You can reach out to colleagues or mentors in your field and ask for their feedback. You can also submit your work to scholarly journals or conferences, where it will undergo a formal peer review process. Additionally, you can join online communities or organizations in your field that offer peer review services or opportunities for collaboration and feedback.