Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures

In summary, Dalton states that when three gases are transferred to a cylinder with the same volume, the pressure will increase to the sum of the three partial pressures. However, this increase in pressure will also cause an increase in temperature due to the fixed volume of the cylinder and the faster movement of molecules at higher temperatures.
Qyamat
Hello ,

If someone could help me out with this problem with I got myself into i will be very thankfull.Dalton says that If there r three gases in a cylinder of 10 dm^3
each containing a gas at the same temperature.Let there partial pressure be 400 torr,500torr,100 torr. Then when alll these three gases r transferred to another cylinder with the same 10 dm^3 volume then The pressure will be the sum of the three ie.1000torr. But will not the temperature increase if pressure increases so considerably. Please do tell me if i am not considring anything worth in this system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the temperature will increase when the pressure increases. This is due to the fact that the volume of the cylinder is fixed, meaning that when the pressure increases, the number of molecules in the cylinder has to increase as well. Since the molecules are moving faster at higher temperatures, this causes the temperature of the gas to increase.

Hello,

You are correct in thinking that the temperature will increase if the pressure increases in this system. This is known as the Ideal Gas Law, which states that pressure and temperature are directly proportional when volume and amount of gas are constant. However, Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures is concerned with the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases, not the individual pressures of each gas. In this case, the total pressure of the mixture will increase to 1000 torr, but the individual pressures of each gas will remain the same. This is because the gases are mixed together and their individual pressures are still contributing to the total pressure of the system. I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion.

1. What is Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures?

Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures states that the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

2. Who is Dalton and how did he discover this law?

John Dalton was an English chemist who first proposed this law in the early 19th century. He conducted experiments with various gases and observed that the total pressure of a gas mixture was equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each gas in the mixture.

3. How is Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures applied in real life?

This law is used in many fields, such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology. In chemistry, it is used to calculate the partial pressure of a gas in a mixture and to predict the behavior of gases in chemical reactions. In meteorology, it is used to understand atmospheric pressure and the composition of the Earth's atmosphere.

4. What is the formula for calculating partial pressure using Dalton's Law?

The formula for calculating partial pressure is P = nRT/V, where P is the partial pressure, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume of the container. This formula can be used for each gas in the mixture to find the partial pressure, which can then be summed to find the total pressure.

5. Can Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures be applied to non-ideal gases?

Yes, Dalton's Law applies to both ideal and non-ideal gases. However, for non-ideal gases, the partial pressure is calculated using the activity coefficient instead of the concentration of the gas. This takes into account the interactions between gas molecules, which can affect the behavior of the gas mixture.