Solution: Solve Gaussian Elimination | 2x1 + 1x2 = 4

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for solving equations using elimination, specifically focusing on eliminating the numbers below the top left number first and using operations such as R3+7R2 to simplify the equation. The person also mentions that solving equations takes practice and may be difficult at first.
TonyC
2 1 1 | 4
-1 2 1 | 3
7 6 5 | 19

Need a little help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not going to do the whole thing, but I like to try and eliminate the stuff below the top left number first.

Say, R3+7R2, will get rid of the -7. And will make the bottom row 0 20 12 | 40, id then divide by 2. Makes things easier. Then move onto another number.

I used to really suck at this, it takes a lot of goes before you can do it without trouble.

Im not going to do the whole thing, but I like to try and eliminate the stuff below the top left number first.

Say, R3+7R2, will get rid of the -7. And will make the bottom row 0 20 12 | 40, id then divide by 2. Makes things easier. Then move onto another number.

I used to really suck at this, it takes a lot of goes before you can do it without trouble.

Thank you, the book doesn't explain to good and I just needed a jump start.

1. What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the equations into a triangular form by using elementary row operations, and then solving for the variables starting from the bottom equation and working upwards.

2. How does Gaussian Elimination work?

Gaussian Elimination works by using elementary row operations such as multiplying a row by a constant, swapping rows, and adding one row to another to transform the equations into a triangular form. This allows for the system of equations to be solved by back substitution.

3. When is Gaussian Elimination used?

Gaussian Elimination is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve systems of linear equations. It is also used in computer science for solving systems of equations in algorithms and in machine learning for solving systems of equations in models.

4. What is the purpose of Gaussian Elimination?

The purpose of Gaussian Elimination is to find the solution to a system of linear equations. This can be useful in many applications, such as determining the intersection of lines or planes, finding the optimal solution in optimization problems, and solving systems of equations in scientific and engineering problems.

5. Is Gaussian Elimination the only method for solving systems of linear equations?

No, there are other methods for solving systems of linear equations, such as Cramer's rule and matrix inversion. However, Gaussian Elimination is often preferred due to its efficiency and ability to handle large systems of equations.